How do I check hash on Snow Leopard 10.6.4?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Canadian Editor, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Canadian Editor macrumors newbie

Sorry for the newbie question. I've scoured the forum for the last hour but can't seem to find the answer.

I've downloaded a file from a website and want to check the hash to make sure I've got a complete dmg file and that it's not corrupted. Can someone please tell me - IN GREAT DETAIL - how to check the hash? Is that the same as a checksum?

Any help would be great. Thanks!!!!

2. ul1984 macrumors newbie

from the command line (Terminal.app):

md5 <filename>

3. Canadian Editor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ul1984!

Just a quick follow up. I went into Terminal, then typed "md5", and then dragged the dmg file into the space right after "md5". I got a rather long number.

1) Is this the hash number?
    2) Is the hash number the same as md5?
    3) Once done, do I have to "undo" anything (ie, erase the stuff I typed in)? Or can I just quit Terminal?

Thanks!!!

4. Riverrun macrumors regular

Compare the hash number from the site where you d/led the file to the number that you see in Terminal and if they match the integrity of the file you downloaded is ensured.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

1. Yes.
    2. MD5 is a kind of hash, the most commonly-used kind for verifying downloads. The site you're downloading from will probably mention what kind of hash it's using.
    3. No.

6. Canadian Editor thread starter macrumors newbie

Other kinds of hash checks

Thanks so much Riverrun and BlueRevolution!

It looks like I have a problem. The numbers DON'T match :eek:. The site doesn't mention what kind of hash it is.

1) What other hash checks should I perform? I've read about "sha1" but still can't find anything on how to perform such a check after searching on the net for the last hour. Can someone tell me how? Please? :)

2) Are there are other kinds of hash checks I can do on an Apple computer? Please take pity on a newbie and tell me how. :p

Thanks everyone!