How do I check hash on Snow Leopard 10.6.4?

Canadian Editor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
Sorry for the newbie question. I've scoured the forum for the last hour but can't seem to find the answer.

I've downloaded a file from a website and want to check the hash to make sure I've got a complete dmg file and that it's not corrupted. Can someone please tell me - IN GREAT DETAIL - how to check the hash? Is that the same as a checksum?

Any help would be great. Thanks!!!!

Canadian Editor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
from the command line (Terminal.app):

md5 <filename>
Thanks ul1984!

Just a quick follow up. I went into Terminal, then typed "md5", and then dragged the dmg file into the space right after "md5". I got a rather long number.

1) Is this the hash number?
2) Is the hash number the same as md5?
3) Once done, do I have to "undo" anything (ie, erase the stuff I typed in)? Or can I just quit Terminal?

Thanks!!!

Riverrun

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
~
Compare the hash number from the site where you d/led the file to the number that you see in Terminal and if they match the integrity of the file you downloaded is ensured.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
1. Yes.
2. MD5 is a kind of hash, the most commonly-used kind for verifying downloads. The site you're downloading from will probably mention what kind of hash it's using.
3. No.

Canadian Editor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
Other kinds of hash checks

1. Yes.
2. MD5 is a kind of hash, the most commonly-used kind for verifying downloads. The site you're downloading from will probably mention what kind of hash it's using.
3. No.
Thanks so much Riverrun and BlueRevolution!

It looks like I have a problem. The numbers DON'T match :eek:. The site doesn't mention what kind of hash it is.

1) What other hash checks should I perform? I've read about "sha1" but still can't find anything on how to perform such a check after searching on the net for the last hour. Can someone tell me how? Please? :)

2) Are there are other kinds of hash checks I can do on an Apple computer? Please take pity on a newbie and tell me how. :p

Thanks everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.