How do I check if I have 64-bit incompatible extensions/applications?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ruahrc, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Just doing some pre-SL install research. I'm curious about running the kernel in 64-bit mode. I have a mid 2009 13" MBP so the hardware should be able to boot into the 64-bit kernel. I don't use a whole ton of 3rd party applications and not many external peripherals so I think I might be able to get away with k64.

But, is there a way for me to check for sure? How do I know if certain apps or peripherals/extensions are not 64-bit? If I click on the apps and use "Get Info" will that tell me? Perhaps there is a list somewhere similar to the SL compatibility wiki that tells people's experiences with 64-bit compatibility. What if I boot into k64 and try to run an incompatible item, will the OS tell me so, or just crash, or just not work, or what?

Here's a quick rundown of the major stuff I use (aside from the built in apps):
    Office 2008
    PS CS3
    LR 2
    Eyeone Match monitor calibration software

As far as peripherals:
    iPod touch 2G
    Mighty Mouse (bluetooth)
    i1 Display2 colorimeter
    Dell 2209WA

Thanks for any advice

Ruahrc

2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Applications are irrelevant for booting with the 64 bit kernel, 32 bit apps will work fine. It's only kexts that matter.

3. Ruahrc thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for that info.

Would it be correct to say that if you loaded the System Profiler and looked at the list of extensions, you could see what ones on your system were 64 and 32 bit? Then if you saw only 64 bit extensions, you could assume that booting into the 64 bit kernel would present no problems?