how do I check if my mbpr is compatible with the newest AEBS?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluebird3, Dec 2, 2015.

1. bluebird3 macrumors regular

I need a new router for my MBPr and looking at getting an AEBS that has 802.11ac. But I would like to make sure I can fully utilize the new router for my mac.

ALSO

which router to buy ? MC414LL/A ($93.00) vs ME918LL/A ($180.00) vs ME177LL/A ($278.00) etc?

My MBPr is :
    MacBook Pro
    Retina 13” Late 2013
    OX 10.9.4
    Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

My current router is LINKSYS AC900 dual band model# EA6200 which signal gets lost/skip if I move to another room in a house.

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Your MBP had 802.11AC so you will benefit from one of the new models. As to the particular model, do you currently have a good backup plan in place? If not, then get the Time Capsule model. Otherwise the ME918 model is adequate.

3. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Great thank you very much. I do not have a back up system (I have USB external drive for my photos, music that I could use, but that is about it. Time Capsule seems way expensive but perhaps 2TB is worth it. I was going to get me an external HD later on by samsung, seagate, etc. but How does time capsule work? I guess its just an external hard drive that is being connected to your computer wirelessly instead of cable ? and the info is not being shared if anyone else came in and used the time capsule model wifi ?

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Try the Apple Refurbished store for a better deal on the Time Capsule:
    http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_accessories
    Time Capsule information:
    http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FE177LL/A/refurbished-airport-time-capsule-2tb

The 2 Tb drive is inside the Time Capsule and you connect wirelessly. You can use the Apple Time Machine software to backup your Mac with wifi.

You can also get the Airport Extreme and connect an external HD to it for backups.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Good backups cost money but if you lost your computer and all your data, how much would you be wiling to get it back? There was one posting by someone that had never backed up his drive or made a copy and lost all the photos of his children. He was willing to pay lots to get the data back. For $50-100 he could have been fairly well protected if he had made the choice. Since I converted all my files to digital, backup is very important. I'm willing to spend the money to keep it well protected.