How do I check if my Touch is 2G or 3G? Help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by maxfan1, Nov 10, 2009.

1. maxfan1 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I recently bought an 8GB iPod Touch 3rd Gen from Amazon UK. The trouble is all the battery apps and even a 3rd party sync tool is detecting my iPod as the 2nd Gen. I read somwhere that 2nd Gen model no. starts from MB vs MC for the 3rd Gen.

Can you put my mind to peace. How can I see what model it is?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

All 8GB iPod touches are 2G (except of course the 1G units). The 3G iPod touch comes in 32GB and 64GB.

The 2G 8GB iPod touch was updated this year to include OS 3 but NO changes were made to the hardware.

The MC code simply identifies it as one with OS 3.1 pre-loaded.

3. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

Yes, Chundles is right. Apple never released a 3rd generation 8GB iPod Touch.

4. mrbass macrumors member

True most know that who follow apple press conferences, read apple news etc. But not those average consumers and places like Fry's, Best Buy keep advertising 8GB 3rd gen ipod touches. False advertising...yes of course but no one is gonna stop them cuz in truth Apple is deceiving the public like they always do with crap they have to liquidate. That's why you never tell a friend to go to an Apple store as they always push them towards the $100 cheaper older crappy models.
    Here is Black Friday's Best Buy Ad on page 35
    8GB iPod touch 3rd Generation (hhahhaha yeah right)
    [​IMG]