Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MeSince83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
I would like to know where I can find on my MBP my chipset type. I want know if I have Penryn or not.

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
There is no difference in the chipset with the new revision, it is still Santa Rosa. The easiest way to tell which "revision" of MacBook Pro you have can be determined through System Profiler, you'll see "MacBookPro4,1" if you have Santa Rosa with a 45nm "Penryn" processor, "MacBookPro3,1" if you have Santa Rosa with 65nm Core 2 Duo CPU, etc.

MeSince83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Cool, thanks guys. I'm coming straight from the other side so there's a lot that I don't know.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
im looking at that site on my iphone. and all the macbooks say they are merom chipsets? no SR

It says they have Merom processors, nothing about chipsets. The current MacBooks and MacBook Pros are built on Intel's Santa Rosa platform, with Intel Mobile 965 Express chipset and Penryn processors. The previous MB & MBPs were also Santa Rosa, but with Merom processors. Before that were the MB & MBPs built on Intel's Napa platform with Intel Mobile 945 Express chipset and Merom processors, and the first MB & MBPs were Napa with Yonah processors.

I know it gets confusing, even I'm not 100% sure I got this all right. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.