How do I clean iMac screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mdgm, Apr 1, 2014.

1. mdgm macrumors 6502a

What should one use to clean the outside of a screen of an iMac that has got a little dirty?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I just use a cloth, moistened with tap water.

Try not to use alcohol or any other type of cleaning solvent, as it may cause damage to the IPS coating of the screen.

3. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Here’s all you need to clean you iMac’s screen:

1: Two micro fibre cloths (ensure that they haven’t been used for cleaning anything else, so they won’t have any other cleaning solutions on them).

2: Moisten one of the micro fibre cloths with tap water and wring out as much water as you can (it should be damp not wet).

3: Wipe the screen.

4: Use the dry one to wipe the screen dry.

5: I also have a large camera lens cleaning cloth that I use to wipe off finger marks. I tend to give the screen a wipe with the micro fibre cloths once a month, and in between I wipe it over with the lens cleaning cloth or if I need to wipe finger marks off etc,

I also use the same cleaning method on my iPad’s screen too.

The cleaning methods I have described will give you a clean and shiny screen. And will do as good a job (if not better) than the expensive cleaning kits, which in my opinion are a waste of money.

Whatever you do, don't use glass cleaning solutions or cleaning solutions that contain alcohol. These can damage the coating that is on the iMac's screen!

Even Apple recommend cleaning the iMac's screen with soft cloths and water, see the below link.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US#desktops

4. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

5. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

I've been using Windex for the past six years. I know Apple says not to use glass cleaners, but I've never noticed any damage on my iMac or MBA.

6. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Same. I haven't really noticed any problems and find it gets much cleaner using a cleaning solution.

7. jaxhunter macrumors regular

jaxhunter

First, IPS is not a coating on the glass. It is a technology imbedded into the LCD display. It stands for In-Plane Switching and it reduces the display's response time and clarifies the image when looking at it from off-center angles.

Second, the oleophobic coating is not so easy to damage that occasional use of alcohol to disinfect the display is a problem. The bigger prohibition agaist the use of rubbing alcohol is that it leaves a haze that is incredibly difficult to get rid of.

Just use a damp, lint free cloth and a little elbow grease. iKlear and other such products help but they can get a little pricey over the long run.

8. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I use the cloth I got with my iMac. I think all 2012 onwards gets a cloth within the box of the iMac.

9. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I didn't know iMacs have that. I thought it was only on iOS devices. My MBA definitely doesn't.

10. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

I'm quite sure that the iMac doesn't have oleophobic coating.

I can easily clean my new iPhone and iPad with a dry glass cloth, with the iMac it clearly need some humidity.

11. jaxhunter macrumors regular

jaxhunter

The newer 2012 and later iMacs have an oleophobic/anti-glare coaing just like the iOS devices. That would be the only coating to worry about. The older iMacs have no coating on the glass so it would not be an issue.

12. FreemanW macrumors 6502

For smears and contaminants other than dust . . . . . dampen a soft 100% cotton towel/cloth with distilled water, wipe, then use a dry 100% cotton towel/cloth to buff to avoid spotting and water marks.

For dust, photographic lens quality micro-fibre cloth.

Do not allow direct sunlight on screen.