How do I clean the aluminum shell of my Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by TantalizedMind, May 9, 2014.

1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

I searched the forum but can't find any suggestions. My Mini is a little dirty. It had dust which I wiped off but there are some light smudges on the case. I don't want to use harmful chemicals.

Should I just try a VERY damp, soft sponge?

2. COrocket macrumors 6502

For smudges, you might have good luck with window or general purpose cleaner. It won't harm the plastic or aluminum. Window cleaner might be better to remove fingerprints/smudges.

3. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

4. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Im often cleaning aluminum products and use only:

90%+ rubbing alcohol
    Microfiber cloth

I've used the same with MBPs and minis. Just make sure the liquid goes onto the cloth first!

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I second the rubbing alcohol and mf cloth.

Here in Canada I always buy from Pharmasave Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol 70%,works great on screens ect!

6. shaunp macrumors 65816

I always dunk mine in a bucket of hot soapy water and leave it to soak for a bit. Then give it a good hard scrub with wire wool. Comes out sparkling. ;)

7. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Good grief, what next.

My motorcycle gets an oil change and general once over very 2 or 3 months. The mirrors, seat, and other functional parts get a dust off as required, but it has only been cleaned once in the 10 years I have owned it. That was when the mechanic had a quiet day and wanted something to do.

My Mac Mini had RAM upgrade and a general clean on the inside after I had owned it for about 3 years, and might get the same come 6 years, next year. Outside, it just gets a dust when I disconnect it to take to work on the odd occasion.

I don't know why people are so concerned about keeping things pristine. The "Show us your Mac" thread pictures all look like the charlady just left.

I reckon things are far more interesting if they look like they are being used, and bear the scars of day to day life.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Before using alcohol, try some ordinary Glass Plus on a rag, paper towel, etc.

Make sure you use "Glass Plus", and not Windex, which contains ammonia...