How do I clean the Oleophobic Shield?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by RalphMac, Aug 28, 2010.

1. RalphMac macrumors member

Im using the sgp oleophobic protector and I removed it using tape b/c I though I scratched the phone or something, but It was really just the a hairline scratch within the screen protector.

My question is...I tried to clean some of the dirt on the back part of the screen protector using a clean cloth, and it made it worse lol (dirt marks everywhere and smudgy lol)..So if I put some water on the back of the screen protector to remove the dirt caused by the cloth, will that ruin it? Whats the best way to clean it?

2. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

By 'back', do you mean the side that sticks to the iPhone screen? If you put water on it, it'll ruin it, you cannot salvage that protector and have it look good again. Only clean the side you're meant to touch with a damp cloth.

3. RichBrewski macrumors member

Nooooo, very false. Have you ever heard of a wet install? Esp. with the SGP Oleo's, a wet install is just about the only way to go.

OP, I'm in the same boat, I'll put up a pic later of what it looks like because it just looks like crap at this point.

4. RalphMac thread starter macrumors member

Yeah the side that sticks to the phone. Its my only one so I was trying to see if there's anyway I could clean or restore it?

5. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

Get a bowl with some water in it and add a drop of soap. You can dip the adhesive side of the protector in the bowl to clean off as much of the dust as possible. And as long as your fingers are wet, you can also try and wipe off whatever remaining dust seems to be sticking.

6. RalphMac thread starter macrumors member

So it wont mess it up if I apply a little water on the dirt spots?

7. Ever34 macrumors regular

You can even put a lot of water along with soap if you like.

I threw my Oleo in the garbage. You can't even clean the stupid thing once it's been on there a couple weeks. Loved it at first but....

8. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

No, it won't mess it up but don't drench the thing and then put it on your phone, that could be a disaster :p. If you put the whole protector in the solution make sure you shake off most of the excess and you'll be fine.

9. nelly41 macrumors regular

I washed my oleo screen protector with running water and hand soap like i was washing my hands! Afterwards, I just shook the excess water off and applied it on my phone and squeezed out the bubbles/water. Worked like a charm and worked fine. So yes you can actually take your screen protector that you got dirty on the sticky adhesive side and clean every dirt particle off of it. Just rub out/off the dirt.