How do I " Clean up" a PC ( Mac user)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Fishtalk macrumors regular

What the equivalent of Disc Utilities ( Mac) on PC
    My friends PC seems to have bogged down and I'm sure she hasn't
    "cleaned it up" since she bought it. On my Mac I use "Disc utilities...repair the authorisations" then reboot. What do I have to do with a PC to get it running smoothly again...Please keep it simple.... have all ready asked this question on a PC site.... and got back "Defragmentation".. "download a special program"...ECT. Jesus !!! I know why i love Mac.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Your PC forum aren't wrong.

Install some anti-adware, like Ad-Aware or Spybot. Run those to clean out the crap.

Also do a disk defreg.

There's probably a lot more things could be done, but these are easy steps.

3. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

uh defrag on mac is still a good idea, buddy.

also you fail to mention what version of windows (if its even running windows? pc's can run pretty much any operating system that its hardware permits, including osx) you're even working with.

vista + windows 7 = no need to defrag as it automatically does it for you.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

When I used to have a windows gaming rig I used a program called Advanced Windows Cleaning

Its freeware and does the job very well. I always found it amazing the amount of registry problems it always found. Just run it whenever you feel your pc is starting to slow down.

5. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Would help if you mentioned the Windows version... Microsoft has jsut released its 'Microsoft Security Essentials' (anti-spyware and AV). Setup your friend to be non-admin and explain privledge escalation, then there should be no problems running windows safely.

6. SuperComputer macrumors newbie

The solution to a clogged up computer is not to install more crapware.

A simple google search would have returned the results you needed click

7. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your answers..... Why are PC's so damn complicated.... LONG LIVE MAC.... I'll think I'll just wait untill she gets a boyfriend who knows PC's
    I 'd probably just crash it worse.

8. Quicksilver00X macrumors newbie

Although being an Apple user, i still appreciate PC's for certain things and maintaining them is not hard at all.

Use, CCleaner+Disk Defragmentation+Disk cleanup to clean up the OS of usual junk.

Install a good free AV like Avira, if it doesn't have one already and you're all set.

If it still feels bogged down, it might be infected with some malware or spyware. So you'd have to use anti spyware software like spybot etc, to clean it up.

And even if that doesn't work for you, reinstall the OS.:p

9. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

CCleaner + Defraggler is what I do from time to time but not neccessary. But if you dont have any malware/adware/anytimeofware then your PC will run just fine.

I think a lot of people make out PCs to be a lot more terrible than they really are. Ever since I've been using Vista and now Win 7 I have NEVER had a BSOD, or any type of other error like BSOD. I've had programs crash a few times, or not work because I had to download something (New version of DirectX or such).

CCleaner will clean out temporary files and such and it will delete/fix the registry. Defraggler is a nice quick defragging program.

10. abonewborn macrumors newbie

what he said

11. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

12. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

if by 'complicated' you mean windows users have about 1000x more options to do various tasks on the computer compared to mac, then well ok..its 'complicated'.