How do I clear my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by No Regrets, Jun 27, 2012.

1. No Regrets macrumors regular

I think I will be selling my recently purchased 13"MBP to fund the purchase of a larger screened MBP.

Because I've been using this computer, how would I go about erasing everything from this computer so that the new owner can have a clean slate to start with?

Is this something can we can do personally or does it need to be taken into an Apple Service Center to be done?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

3. unibility macrumors 6502

Best Buy has a 1 TB 2.5" HDD for $99. That's probably the best way to ensure your data to never been seen. Replace the HHD and trash our existing one.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As the OP is selling their MBP, buying a new drive for it would be a waste of money, since they'll get a fraction of the purchase price in the resale. The procedures linked below will ensure their data won't be seen, without spending a dime.

5. unibility macrumors 6502

There are different options to erase the drive and fresh install, but isn't the high secure erase takes a long time?

6. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

OP never said anything about working with extremely sensitive files, so replacing it with a new hard drive is a bit over the top.

For most users, the zero out data option is enough- it's fairly quick and is pretty secure.

7. G15 macrumors member

I also have to thank you for your advice.
    I only have one question left: i bought my MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard is there any way I can sell it with Lion?

8. PackFan macrumors regular

PackFan

I am going to sell my Macbook Pro with SSD in the main bay and regular drive in the optibay. I was going to boot to the Lion tools and zero-fill the optibay drive... should I do the same to the SSD?

Thanks.

9. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

So if I follow the links you supplied, it will erase all of my photos from iPhoto, get rid of any files or documents I have stored, and basically get rid of all my web browsing history? So any transactions I've through Amazon, etc.....they wouldn't be able to discover my credit card information? Is this correct?

Sorry for my ignorance...I'm not very tech savvy.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, that's correct. Here is some additional information:

OS X Lion: Erase and reinstall Mac OS X
    OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery Disk Assistant

11. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you GGJstudios. That will help relieve any worries that I may have had in regards to selling my computer.