How do I clear out old Messages in Archive & Attachments?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by twanj, Aug 2, 2016.

1. twanj macrumors member

twanj

I delete my old Messages in the Messages app on OS X & I thought I had everything under control. they take up too much space after a while.

today, I accidentally stumbled across the Archive & Attachments folder (~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iChat/Data/Library/Messages) & there is quite a bit of stuff I've deleted within the app. the Archive folder (2.4 gigs) has the text of the messages, & Attachments (5.4 gigs) has the attachments.

all my old Messages with ex's are in here that I've already deleted. is it safe to manually delete this stuff in the Finder?

I searched on here & also did a general Google search on this. some blog posts came up & it sounded like people had issues with Messages not displaying after they fiddled with it.

2. richard2 macrumors regular

richard2

It should be safe to delete the contents of the two folders provided you do so while Messages is closed.

3. twanj thread starter macrumors member

twanj

4. duncangohl macrumors member

My problem now...I cleared loads of things but now my mail messages dont show after a click on the preview. Just the header shows on the right. Have to double click to see message in new pane on the left???