How Do I Clear Recent Files On My Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by USMCfirefighter, Sep 14, 2009.

1. USMCfirefighter macrumors newbie

OK, this is going to sound silly and I hope I can explain it correctly, but when you click on the Macintosh HD icon and the window opens up, there is a list on the left side of the window. Down towards the bottom of this list, there is a folder titled: "Search For". Is there any way of clearing the Today, Yesterday, Past Week, All Images, All Movies and All Documents folders without actually deleting the files from my Mac?
    I recently upgraded to OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and now Onyx does not work for me. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

does Oynx actually clear these? my understanding is theyre just a smart folder that searches for files opened during a specific time frame so they cant be cleared.

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You cannot clear those as they're just "smart searches". They search for files whose "date modified" has been altered. The only way to change it would be to delete or modify the information contained on all the files that have been changed.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

... which would put the modified file right back at the top of the list. ;)

6. USMCfirefighter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help and responses. I guess Onyx never really cleared them out for me. No worries, I'll read Dewguy1999's suggested reading now.
    Thanks again :D