Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackotack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
I want to run my iMac from an SSD inside a USB3.0 enclosure.

I installed El Capitan on the SSD, booted from it. But when I try to access my User files that are on the internal HDD, I get an access-denied error.

How do I clear/reset the permissions so that I can access the files on the internal HDD while running the SSD's OSX?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Have you tried the following:

1. Boot from your INTERNAL drive (NOT from the SSD)

2. In the finder, click the icon for the [external] SSD -ONE- time to select it.

3. Type "Command-i" to bring up the get info box

4. Go to the Sharing & Permissions area towards the bottom of the box (if necessary, click the disclosure arrow to reveal the details)

5. In the lower right hand corner, click the lock icon and enter your password

6. At the very lower-left-hand corner, put a checkmark in the box "Ignore ownership on this volume"

7. Close the get info box

Can you access the areas of the external SSD now?

Reactions: jackotack

jackotack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Have you tried the following:

1. Boot from your INTERNAL drive (NOT from the SSD)

2. In the finder, click the icon for the [external] SSD -ONE- time to select it.

3. Type "Command-i" to bring up the get info box

4. Go to the Sharing & Permissions area towards the bottom of the box (if necessary, click the disclosure arrow to reveal the details)

5. In the lower right hand corner, click the lock icon and enter your password

6. At the very lower-left-hand corner, put a checkmark in the box "Ignore ownership on this volume"

7. Close the get info box

Can you access the areas of the external SSD now?

Thanks for the answer. (Although I actually wanted the reverse -- access the internal HDD while running OSX from the external SSD)

I booted from the SSD, then did Command-I on the "Macintosh HD" (i.e. the internal HDD), clicked the lock, entered my admin password, and then checked the box "Ignore ownership on this volume," and yes that allowed me to access all files on the internal HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.