How do I clear stored info in AW4?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Sill, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Sill macrumors 6502a

I was poking around in my AW app just now, and found the storage section in the General items. I clicked on Usage and found that Activity had already used 5.7MB, even though I had never opened it, much less set it up. I also see Photos & Camera used 4.7MB, still trying to figure out what thats about, since the Watch doesn't have a camera. Music shows 1.4GB used, though I don't play music on the Watch.

I'd really like to kill the Activity app for good, on both the Watch and my iPhone, but I'm sure Apple won't let that happen. Meanwhile, does anyone know how to clear the stored data that it shouldn't be storing in the first place? At the rate this is going, all these apps I'm not using are going to take up the memory on the Watch by the end of the month.

2. Significant1 macrumors 6502a

Do you have an actual problem? else don't worry and let Apple handle the storage management.

3. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Open the watch app on your phone. Click on Activity, and you’ll see Turn All Notifications Off. Click it.

Music, you or someone else installed music on your watch. Click on Music in the watch app on your phone to remove.

You have multiple gigabytes of storage on your watch, with the exception of music, it’s only using several megabytes. You and I both know that you’re not going to run out of storage by the end of the month. Besides, it’s a fitness product. Of course it’s going to store fitness data on both it and the personal digital assistant that you have it paired with. Relax.

4. Sill thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did that when I first got the Watch. That doesn't have anything to do with data storage that I can see.

No one besides me has touched it since it left the factory, and I certainly haven't let it out of my sight nor installed anything on it.

Why would it store fitness data, when I have all the fitness tracking turned off. And the biggest question is: why can't I view and/or delete any of the fitness data? My iPhones started accumulating that data ever since Activity came out - despite never being used and always being turned off - and I can't get rid of it. I'd really like to delete that app from both the Watch and my iPhone, but I know Apple would never do that. I don't know why they have decided to make things like
    that "necessary" parts of the os.

I did what you said regarding the Music tab in the Watch app. I didn't even think to look in there when I got the Watch. Upon looking I find a slider in there called "Heavy Rotation" that when enabled uploads everything I listen to on my iPhone X to the Watch.

I really, seriously, wish Apple would stop enabling stuff like that right out of the box. When I get a new iPhone its a race to get into the settings and turn off all the "share" stuff that wants to grab my docs and photos and notes and whatnot and send it off to some cloud server somewhere. If I run into a problem on the phone (its rare) and have to log out of iCloud and back in, it ignores my settings and enables cloud backup of almost everything. Its not as bad as Google/Android but its still very obnoxious. Is there anything wrong with having a step in the setup process that allows the user to choose their sharing, and have that setting stick?