How do I coerce my Mac G3 to accept a printer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skiff, Jan 6, 2009.

1. skiff macrumors member

I successfully installed a Canon iP3000 driver on my Mac OS 10.3.9, but to save my life I can't get it on my Printer List. I am totally stymied. When I click print from the File menu, I get: "No Printer Selected." Then when I click on "Edit Printer List" from the drop down menu, I get the blank "Printer List" with an icon that says "ADD." Nothing I click on that window does anything. So far I have the market cornered on strange windows none of which I understand. I can't believe everyone who successfully installs a printer has a Ph.D. in printer installations.

I read I should go to Disk Utility in my Utility Folder for help. I'm really having a bad day: THERE IS NO DISK UTILITY iIN MY UTILITY FOLDER! Where do I get Disk Utility? I'm ready for the gas pipe.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I can't comment on the printer deal, but I can help you recover Disk Utility. Use Pacifist to open your OS install disks and search for "Disk Utility.app".

I am running 10.4.11 on my 500 MHz iBook G3. It's slow but operable. I'd probably downgrade to 10.3 in the interest of a bit of added zippyness if it was my primary computer, though.

3. skiff thread starter macrumors member

I can't thank you enough for cluing me in on PACIFIST. How did I ever get along without it? I haven't even investigated how it will help me with my printer problem — but I already love it win, lose, or draw.

Thanks a million.