How do I completely remove an installed program ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by touchUpInside, Nov 30, 2014.

1. touchUpInside, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014

touchUpInside macrumors member

touchUpInside

From the Mac App Store, I installed CompuBench CL. The original install was about 60MB and then when I launched it the first time it indicated that it need to download something about 200MB to be able to connect to the results database. Sure I was leary, but it was from the Mac App Store (I wanted to use Unigine Valley, but the OS indicated that it is from an unidentified developer).

So, I move the CompuBench app to the trash, but also wondered about what else it installed. Before trashing the program, I used the activity monitor to look at the list of open files/ports for this program and found in the Library/container folder called net.kishonti.osx.CompuBench. Using the terminal, I see that its still there and that in subfolders there is a copy of my desktop, downloads, pictures,mail, etc. I don't know if these are duplicates or links to the originals. I do know that when I do a screen capture the folder updates with the latest version.

I'm using Terminal because I could not find any of this with Finder.

In a data folders, I find 385MB in folders my Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, Movies, and Pictures. If I determine that these are all duplicates I'm going to delete this mess. I just don't know how these folders are getting new files, the original program is deleted.

I'd like to delete the net.kishonti.osx.CompuBench, but am not sure if I should be making changes to the Library folder.

To use Windows terminology, I want to roll back the changes ?!?#?#!!

Anyone have suggestions ?

Cheers. Thanks!

>
    p.s.

Okay, using the option+Go in Finder, I found the net.blah.blah.blah folder.

2. Murgatroyd macrumors member

Murgatroyd

App Cleaner

Perhaps re-download the program, install it like you did, then drop just the app into the App Cleaner window. All the related files will show up for you to check on and delete.

http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

*•

3. touchUpInside thread starter macrumors member

touchUpInside

That helped a lot. Even though I moved the app to the trash, the app store let me "open" it (without re-downloading). From AppCleaner, I could then find the Application and then have it clean out the additional files/folders.

Thank you !