How do I compress files within Mac OSX without creating a Mac OS folder??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maczod, Sep 7, 2008.

1. maczod macrumors member

It's come to my attention from friends that whenever I send them compressed (zipped) files from my Mac, it auto adds a folder called Mac OSX that makes it confusing for them. How can I get rid of it when my Mac compresses files?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hmm...I've never experienced this.

How are you compressing the files? Are you just right clicking on the file and choosing "Create Archive of <filename>"? Or are you using something else?

What OS version are you running?

3. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Can't say my PC friends have mentioned this to me.

I right click "compress ......." and it makes a zip file.

I will ask them and get come back.

4. maczod thread starter macrumors member

You can just open Bootcamp and it'll show up.

Basically send yourself a zip file zipped from Mac then email it to yourself. Then open Bootcamp and open the zip file. You'll see what I'm saying.

5. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

Yeah, I see them.

I don't see anyway to prevent them from being added to the archive when creating the zip file from the Finder. You may want to explore other utilities such as BetterZip (or if you're a Java geek, by using the "jar" command in Terminal).

6. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I get this all the time too, plus OS X likes to drop little hidden files everywhere when copying to a network share.

It sounds like a PITA, but have you tried using "zip" from terminal?

$ zip -r archive.zip filename1 filename2 ... filenameN

7. maczod thread starter macrumors member

the reason why I got a mac was to escape all the "dos command" programming stuff.. :(

8. Aranince macrumors 65816

:p OS X is based off of Unix..so it uses the terminal even more so than Windows. But its possible to get by without it, you just have more power with it.

9. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure there are archiving apps with a pretty GUI out there. :) Probably even some that are free/opensource/shareware... Check this thread.

You could also put together some applescript to call up the command line that would be just about as clever as any app you could download and install.

10. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Correct but check my signature...!:p

11. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

I use CleanArchiver when I need to zip something for a Windows user. Works very well. I keep the icon in the dock and when I need to zip something (file or dir) I just drag it to the dock icon.

http://www.sopht.jp/cleanarchiver/

I originally found it at macupdate, but I prefer to use the actual author's site to get the newest info/version.

12. maczod thread starter macrumors member

Documentation (in Japanese) scares me...

13. tomasremi macrumors newbie

14. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

It has english documentation built-in under the HELP menu. Default settings work fine, though.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can create a folder with the name you want, put files into it, and compress the folder. The zip will then expand to the name of the folder that you named instead of Mac OSX.

16. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

The problem is that the built-in "compress" in Finder adds Mac-specific files such as files that have . and a directory called _MACOSX\zipfilename

You can't see these on a Mac, but you can on a Windows system and it rightfully confuses Windows users. I found out the hard way when I would send 2 webtrends javascript files zipped to people and I would tell them "place the 2 files in the attached zip archive in your /blah directory." They would write back "which 2 files, there are 4 and a sub directory with yet more files."

17. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

You're right that "Compress" adds in the __MACOSX structure, but you can see the results on OS X by using the terminal to "unzip filename".