How do I connect 2 VGA monitors to a rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ecopac, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Ecopac macrumors newbie

Hi all

I have just purchased a new retina 13" MBP and need to connect 2 VGA monitors to it. I plan to have the MBP closed and have 2 different things on each screen.

I've connected 1 monitor to a VGA -> MiniDisplay Port adapter and plugged this into one of the thunderbolt displays which works fine. The other one I have put into a VGA -> HDMI adapter but when I plug that in nothing works.

Is there another way to do this, should I get another VGA->MiniDisplay Port adapter and plug that into the other Thunderbolt port? Would that work?

Thanks!

2. thebro20 macrumors regular

what resolutions are you running the two displays at? and if you unplug the monitor plugged into thunderbolt, does the one plugged into hdmi work?

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Most likely. The fact that you're trying to run through two adapters could be messing it up.

4. Ecopac thread starter macrumors newbie

They're both 1080 hd resolution.

I've searched everywhere for a definitive answer on this but it's so hard to find one.

I'm not at work now so can't try the hdmi thing but I'm pretty sure I did try it at some point and nothing showed up

5. thebro20 macrumors regular

if you only have the hdmi plugged in and nothing happens, id say the adapter is probably faulty.

6. Doug Hope macrumors member

Doug Hope

I use two vga monitors at work and use 2 Mini DisplayPort to vga adapters without any problems. I've also used 1 mini DisplayPort and 1 hdmi adapter without any issues. Sounds like you may have a bad adapter.