How do i connect 27" cinema display to PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ZestyOne, Dec 22, 2011.

1. ZestyOne, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

ZestyOne macrumors member

ZestyOne

I'm getting a PC just for gaming (will never give up my precious macbook pro for everything else!)

I have a 27" cinema display.

The video cards I'm getting are 2x SLI 2.5GB GTX 570's. I just realized though... if it doesnt come with a DisplayPort adapter built in (which I think it does not) then I need to buy an adapter. Which is fine.... except all the adapters im finding dont look right, its like if i want to connect a DVI monitor to my mac, not the other way around (cinema display to PC).

Some other site said I need a $200 converter box.... WTF?

Link... it only supports regular display port. If i use an adapter does anyone know if theres a loss in quality of any sort?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130687

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's probably just a mini displayport to displayport adapter that is needed. I would do a search to see if this has worked for others in the past. It definitely should work given the number of Macs run under bootcamp.

3. ZestyOne thread starter macrumors member

ZestyOne

I see. Do you know if theres any drop in quality trying to do that via a v1.1 regular displayport?

I'm buying this computer to max out gaming graphics and whatnot, it woudl be stupid to buy all this and then my mini displayport -> displayport compromises a lot of things.

Thanks for your help!

4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

If that is the case, the MDP is the least of your problems. The ACDs aren't known for their fast response times... If this is for gaming, why are you using (relatively) slow screens to begin with? :confused:

5. ZestyOne thread starter macrumors member

ZestyOne

I bought the cinema display 6 months ago for graphic design, gaming was an afterthought.

As long as I can reach 60fps I am happy. That is possible, right?

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm fairly certain that panel has overdrive circuitry. Perhaps Apple leaves it disabled? Apple basically locks the settings on their displays, so it makes sense that they wouldn't want potential reverse ghosting artifacts when watching video. My question would be why the OP would buy one for graphic design. There are so many displays that are better. I'd probably put Apple beneath Lacie somewhere on displays :mad:. Eizo, Quato, HP dreamcolor, NEC, and some Lacie models, all better than the Cinema display. Apple's branding is just uncanny.

There shouldn't be one assuming the adapter is functioning normally. I'd check customer reviews before ordering. Just look for complaint reviews via sorting and see if a drop in output quality comes up frequently among them.