How do I connect a Mac to a Cellphone?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jsbarone, Mar 18, 2009.

1. jsbarone macrumors regular

Hey,

I have a:
    Nokia 1680 "Classic" Cell Phone
    2.8GHZ Unibody Macbook Pro
    N1200 USB to Nokia Cable

I am trying to sync contacts and other junk from my cellphone, and upload ringtones to it. Seems like a fairly simple maneuver to me, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it done. There are a few apps that I've used on Windows that do just what I want (Oxycube and MobiMB) but they made Windows BSOD more times than I could handle so I gave up.

The problem appears to be that my phone doesn't have Bluetooth, and everything I can find for the Mac requires it. I do have a cable that allows me to connect to the computer via USB, I just don't know how to take the next step. Your help is appreciated!

2. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I'm pretty sure it'll have to be bluetooth, there probably aren't any Mac drivers (are they needed) for that phone.

Take a look at BluePhone Elite though, it might work, but it's based around Bluetooth.

3. ski2moro macrumors 6502

Did you ask at Howardforums.com

I found lots of info there for other phones before my iPhone.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Have you tried using the Mac's pre-bundled iSync application? It may not work right off the bat with your phone but there is an Apple support article with links to many phone manufacturers websites that have plugins available for downloading/installation that should allow iSync to be compatible with it.

5. jsbarone thread starter macrumors regular

I tried adding plugs for phones that looked like mine to iSync but I had no luck. I can't find anything on the internet about connecting my phone to a Mac. Anyone else of any help?

6. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

As far as I can tell, the 1680 is a basic phone that doesn't connect or Sync. The USB cable you have can probably just be used as a charging cable.

7. jsbarone thread starter macrumors regular

It doesn't charge via the cable, it's definitely a data sync cable. It worked with a Windows app, but it kept blue screening the computer.