How do i connect a MacBook to a TV...???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Duster, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Duster macrumors newbie

Hi Everybody,

I urgently need to know how i can connect my MacBook to my TV. I checked a round and the cable available is to connect the iPod to the TV. I could not find any thing about connecting a MacBook to the TV. :( :confused:

Any type of help is greatly appreciated....!!!! :)

Thanks and best regards.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) Do a search. This question has been asked at least 100000000000000 times.

2) Check your TV for computer inputs. For example HDMI, DVI or VGA. Then purchase the appropriate adaptors from Apple/cables.

4. Duster thread starter macrumors newbie

As im aware on the side of the TV there is a AV in/out. But the problem I'm facing is that i couldnt fins a cable that is available with which i can connect the MacBook and the TV.

And by the way thanks for the quick reply.... :)

regards....!!!

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Assuming AV in/out means composite (yellow phone) + left/right audio (red/white) then you might be struggling somewhat. What, exact, precise MacBook is it? Are you sure you don't have any inputs that aren't from the 1980s?

7. Duster thread starter macrumors newbie

Well its a MacBook and there is another MacBook Air. As far as i checked i could find any cables :confused:

plus im not that savy in the electronics department :(

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That does not help. At all. There have been a huge number of different MacBook specs. They support different output methods and require different adaptors.

Which one is it?

Edit: as an example if you have a MacBook with Mini-DVI and your only input option is composite video then this adaptor would work (with appropriate cables). Of course given that you have not described the inputs on the TV I cannot recommend buying it.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Well, if it's a white MacBook it has a mini DVI port, and the older MacBook Airs have a micro DVI port.

You can get adapters from Apple, that give you an S-VIDEO and an Y/C video out, so you can connect those to many TVs.

If you have a TV with HDMI: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10419&cs_id=1041912&p_id=4852&seq=1&format=2 or http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB204G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MjE0NTg4Nw + http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?spcDB=10419&spcWord=+DVI/HDMI+Adapter&keyword=dvi hdmi.

And MRoogle.

10. Duster thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 13" (White-09) and I'm interested about the MacBook Air too.... it has a DVI port if im not mistaken....!!!!

11. Hermolicious84 macrumors member

If you have a 2009 White Macbook, it has a mini-DVI. If you have a Macbook Air, it either has a micro-DVI (first gen) or mini-DisplayPort (late 2008-present).

To know what kind of cable you will need, you have to tell us what type of input you have on your TV.

12. saMac macrumors newbie

13. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Which Macbook Air do you have?

And look on the BACK of your TV.
    There are inputs there.

There should be a couple A/V inputs (Yellow/Red/White round cables), a CoAx input (round, with a pin in the middle), and (If you have a semi-new TV) it should have HDMI.

But that all depends on what TV you have.
    Heck, if you just give us the model of your TV, we can Google and find out what inputs it has.

14. HBOC macrumors 68020

^^^ if it is something like that, time to update.