How do i connect a u2412m to my macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Paulino, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Paulino macrumors newbie

Hi

I bought two u2412m Dell monitors and I don't know how to connect them to my macbook.

They came with this cable http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dvi-cable.jpg it has the exact same number of pins but i don't know what adapter should buy. Apparently there is a lot of it:

[​IMG]

If I buy the mini-dp to dvi adapter from apple will it work or do I need to find a connector with the exact number of spaces.

I too found some cheaper ones but they have a lot more of spaces (like the 2 first pictures from above) that the apple one.

Any help please :confused:

2. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

you can only run one display at a time. Use Mini DisplayPort to DVI (on MB* 2009+) for one and then you can use a USB to DVI for another one. They're special modules which effectively have graphics cards in them. Not sure how fast etc but they should be alright for most things (not games or HD movies though)

3. Paulino thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I have 2 MacBooks 2011 Air&Pro.

I'm from Mexico and the dollar just went up so I think I'm gonna go with the cheaper ones...

I know, thanks to your help, that I have a dvi-d cable and the adapter that I found is a dvd-i. Also according to those articles, dvd-i support analog and digital while dvi-d is just digital.

So if I buy something like this:

[​IMG]

And I have this cable:
    [​IMG]

Will it work this way? I mean I just want digital and dvi-i support it right?