How do I connect GTX 260 in Mac Pro early 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by evildede, Mar 5, 2009.

1. evildede macrumors member

OK, so I'd like to buy a GTX 260 to put in my early 2008 Mac Pro to do some gaming. What I'd like to know is: do I leave it as well as my 8800 gt connected all the time and do I remove the 8800 GT from the board and put the 260 GTX eveery time I switch to windows for gaming? Also, what extra cables do I need to buy for connection? I'd really like to order everything all at once so that once I get my card I can get it running right away. Thanks!

2. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

you know you wont be able to use it in mac osx right?

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The 8800GT needs one power lead, and the GTX 260 needs two. Unfortunately, the Mac Pro only has two in total...

This means you can either unplug the 8800GT every time in order to provide the GTX 260 with enough juice, or you can jerry-rig power from the molex connectors in the DVD bay.

4. evildede thread starter macrumors member

But will I be able to start the computer even without any mac compatible video cards to log into windows? And also, are the cables that come with the card good to use on the mac pro or do I have to order a special 6 pin cable for the mac pro?

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you try to boot into OS X without the 8800 GT, it won't work. You'd have to go straight into Windows.

Special cable? Somewhat. The desired cable can be gotten by shaving the right part off of a regular one, but it's easier to buy the special one.

Or maybe my information is outdated.

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Yes, as long as you are only booting into Windows.

The cables that come with a GTX 260 are not Mac Pro cables - you will need to use the one from the 8800GT and buy another (ATi sell them as X1900 power cables on their website).