How do I connect Multiple HDMI monitors to my 2017 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AndrewKGB, Jul 17, 2017.

1. AndrewKGB macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I just got a 2017 MBP 15" to replace my 2013 MBP 13" machine and having trouble duplicating my workflow.

In the office, I have two monitors that do nothing special - just some 4 year old IPS LED monitors at 60 Hz running probably 1080p. I would bring my sleeping computer in, plug in a monitor into the HDMI port and then another into the mDP port, and then I'd have dual monitors up and going while keeping my laptop closed. In the meantime, I have the Apple adapter that has USBC/HDMI/USB 3 ports, and I can get one monitor to display through it, but I can't get the other monitor to display as well when I connect it to a simple USB-C to HDMI connector.

I'm not trying to do anything 4K or daisy chaining or anything crazy - just trying to do something quite simple that I've been doing for a while. I've been reading lots of things and most just confuse me more as to why I can or can't do something simple. So I have several questions:

1) Is it true that I can't do this anymore without going and spending a bunch more money on Thunderbolt monitors?
    2) Is there a recommendation from anyone on a docking station that will do the dual monitors and all the other assorted connections?

Much thanks in advance!

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

Are you plugging the USB-C to HDMI adapter directly into the MBP or into the USB-C/HDMI/USB dongle? The latter won't work because the USB-C port on the dongle is power only.

What kind of USB-C/HDMI adapter do you have?

3. AndrewKGB thread starter macrumors newbie

1) I'm plugging the USB-C/HDMI/USB dongle straight into the MacBook
    2) I'm also plugging in my USB-C/HDMI adapter straight into the MacBook.

The adapter I have is a Cirago adapter that I bought at MicroCenter in the Apple Section.
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/470010/USB-C_to_4K_HDMI_Adapter_-_Silver
    It is possible that this adapter is dead or just doesn't work as I haven't gotten to test it on another setup yet.