how do I connect my MBP to hdtv?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tman08, Mar 4, 2008.

1. tman08 macrumors member

My MBP came with that one connector cord which I'm guessing is to hook it up to a display but the problem is it's like 3 inches long. What do I need to buy in order to hook it up to my lcd hdtv?

2. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

depends on your tv but i would guess a DVI to HDMI cable. You can get them for like $10.

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

That's an adapter to convert from DVI to VGA. You'll need to buy a cable to go from your machine to your TV, and that will depend on what type of inputs your TV has.

Most newer HDTVs have HDMI inputs, and some have an HDMI input that also has a set of stereo RCA jacks for connecting computers (which don't output sound over HDMI). Since HDMI and DVI are compatible, you could get a DVI to HDMI cable and connect it that way, and then use a minijack to stereo RCA cable for audio.

Some slightly older TVs also have straight DVI inputs (with stereo RCA for sound). Then you'd just need a DVI to DVI cable for the video.

Some newer TVs that have HDMI also eschew a separate DVI input for a VGA input for computers. If you have the ability to use HDMI or DVI I'd suggest it over VGA, but if you only have VGA you'll need to use the DVI to VGA adapter that came with the MBP and then connect a VGA cable between your computer and your TV (and again some sort of cable for audio, most likely).

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I believe the cable that came with your MPB is a DVI to VGA adapter.

To connect your MBP to your TV you will either need a DVI cable, a DVI to HDMI Cable, or a DVI to Composite/S-Video converter then a cable to connect either the Composite RCA jack to the TV or an S-Video Cable.

TEG

5. myawn macrumors member

myawn

That depends on what sort of inputs your HDTV has.

I think the preferred option would be to connect using a DVI - HDMI converter cables. These cables probably cost about $1.49 to produce, and Best Buy will sell you one for $60. :mad:

Another possibility would be to use the included DVI-VGA converter plus a VGA extension cable if your TV has a VGA input.

Note that DVI is video only, so you'll need to make a separate connection for the audio.

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Oh MacRumors Forum Spy, I love how you enable MR denizens to answer the same question four times in a row within seconds of each other. ;)

7. tman08 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah mine has a HDMI. So I need a DVI to HDMI. Can I get one of those at best buy for 10 bucks? I don't want to buy in of that overpriced monster cable crap.

8. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

Do I win anything for being first?

9. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

no chance you can get that at best buy for $10.

I've used meritline.com in the past and they are reliable.

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Best Buy or Circuit City should have some for between $15 and $20. Radio Shack will have the same thing for about $25-$30.

TEG

11. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

When I use a VGA cable to connect my current notebook it will not go widescreen. Is there a reason for this? The laptop is widescreen, and the HDTV is widescreen, but the tv will not act like a widescreen monitor, only 4x3.

BTW it is a windows notebook, but will soon be a MBP if I can make sure that office and wi-fi will work well with it.

12. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Probably an issue of either the TV not reporting or Windows not recognizing its supported modes.

13. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Apple Store (retail, not talking about online) has em for $19.95. They're nice too, XtremeMac or whatever the name is. Got mine and they work perfectly.