How do I connect my rMBP to dual monitors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Clark, Aug 17, 2014.

1. The Clark macrumors regular

The Clark

I've done some research but I'm still unsure of what I need exactly. Basically right now my rMBP is currently connected to one monitor via HDMI. I'd like to add an additional monitor, however the monitor that I'm adding does not have an HDMI (only vga and DVI). Obviously I'd like to use DVI so which adapter do I need and where do I plug them in? Is the input on my rMBP a thunderbolt input or a display port?

thanks for any and all help!

2. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Thunderbolt carries a Displayport signal too. Just get a MiniDisplayport to DVI adapter and you'll be fine.

3. NativeTxn macrumors regular

You can get something like this - http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5106&seq=1&format=2

to use one of the Thunderbolt ports into the DVI on the monitor.

I have a dual monitor setup and I use an HDMI-to-HDMI cable coming out of the right side of the rMBP to the right monitor and I use a Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI coming out of the left side of the rMBP for the left monitor.

Works great, so I don't think you should have any problems with the MDP-to-DVI adapter above (or one like it).

4. The Clark, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014

The Clark thread starter macrumors regular

The Clark

Okay thanks. So would this one suffice?

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/M...893681242f2b196fb55634ed42a981bb79b19df49ed7e

I just to make sure as I'm about to order right now.

thanks!

EDIT:

1. will I have an audio problems if I add a new monitor? Or will everything still play through my monitor?
    2. Where can I purchase a DVI connector?

Thanks again.

5. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

6. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Does that work both ways so it can carry a DVI connection to a displayport input or is it one way only?

I use a miniDVI to DVI adapter for my 23" and a miniDisplayport to VGA adapter for my 19" but I plan on getting a miniDisplayport to HDMI adapter (with audio via TOSLINK) to connect to my TV and then using a HDMI splitter to mirror the output to my 23" and the TV at the same time. That way, I can save the miniDisplayport output for a 29" 21:9 display at a later date.