How do I connect this to my Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by legsilver, Mar 16, 2015.

1. legsilver macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Because the disk drive on my macbook pro doesn't work, I'd like to use an old Iomega Predator CD-RW to rip cd's. However, this device doesn't have a USB port, it has an ISO port and some other port. I've attached a picture of the ports. How can I connect this to my macbook pro?

Thanks,

Sam

Attached Files:

2. hughw macrumors member

hughw

it looks like a centronics connector, or parallel port, like you used to get on printers.
    I suspect it will be cheaper to pick up a new external drive than it will be to buy the adaptor(s) you need to make this work

3. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

And probably a $25 noname drive will blow that away in performance anyway. I got a blu ray drive for around $40 or so iirc.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

As above

As the other posters say it'll be cheaper easier and quicker to get a new DVD rom drive with a USB connector than try getting that to work and the new one will be far better.

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

You don't. At least, not without getting the proper adapter/cable for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iomega-Pred...462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8f02f0b6

or ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-and-Fir...230?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f480f984e

One or both, or neither of those might work.

My advice: Get a new drive. It will be more expensive than the adapter/cable found on eBay, but the time used to try to get that unit working would be more valuable (to me anyway) than what that unit is worth these days.

FWIW, Iomega was bought by EMC ages ago. I had to look this next part up ... EMC entered into agreement with Lenovo to market and sell the formerly known as "Iomega" products, under a new brand called "LenovoEMC". Point being, there is now little to zero chance of you being able to get the proper adapter/cable directly from Iomega anymore, or from EMC or LenovoEMC either for that matter.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Agree with the posters above.

Get a new (non-Apple) USB-based DVD/CD writer.

It will work as well or better.

You probably won't have to spend more than $25.

7. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

Even if you get the cable to connect it to your mac, it still may not work or work poorly.

Save yourself the headache, rage & stress and just buy a new drive.