How do I connect to a Windows ME box?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Josias, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

My mom has around 13 GB stuff she needs transferred from her computer to our external FireWire harddrive, but her old computer doesn't have FireWire. It has USB 1.1, but we don't have any USB drives larger than 128 MB. I decided to transfer the stuff to my Mac over ethernet. I just don't know how to do?

If anybody can help I will be you eternally grateful, cause this is really hard.

(I have connected the two computers via a 10/100 Ethernet cable, from the ME box's 10/100 card to my MacBook's built-in Gigabit Ethernet.)

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Here's what you can do:

DISABLE ANY FIREWALL SOFTWARE SUCH AS NORTON INTERNET SECURITY OR ZONE ALARM.

1. Plug in the ethernet cable (assuming to a router or switch) from the PC. A crossover cable should also work. Most new Macs have auto-switching built in so you should be able to plug in a regular ethernet patch cable and make it work as well. Many options there....

2. On the PC, click on start and then run and then type in command (or cmd if command gives you an error) then type in ipconfig in the black screen to see if it has an IP address. It should be something like 192.x.x.x.

Now on the Mac:

1. Click on the Apple Menu and then click on System Preferences.

2. Click on the sharing system preference

3. Then check the Windows sharing checkbox. You will need to authenticate and select your username with a check box.

4. Click the Show All button in the top left of the System Preferences window so it brings you back to all of the system preference options.

5. Click on Network.

6. Double click on Built-in Ethernet.

7. Click on the TCP/IP Tab and see what the IP address is. Should be like a 192.x.x.x or a 169.x.x.x IP address. Write down the ip address and/or remember it.

Back on the PC:

1. RIGHT click on My Computer and then select Map Network Drive

2. Type in \\ipaddressofimac\usernameofimac (ex. \\192.168.1.5\michael)

3. It should prompt for a username and password. Use the username and password of the Mac NOT THE PC! It should then map the home folder of the Mac in My Computer as a network drive. You can then browse the Desktop, Documents, Music, etc folders.

It may be best to create a folder on the desktop of the Mac called Old Computer or something like that and transfer everything to that folder first. Then you can sort through it and only transfer what you want to the correct places.

Let me know if you have any problems.

3. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

I don't know how you know that, but thanks a lot!:D

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I know because I do this stuff for a living! :D

Let me know if you have any problems. You can either post back here, private message me or email me. Click on my website link and use the contact me link.

5. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

I am just a little insecure whether you told me to connect the Mac/PC directly, or connect over our home network (via the router)?

6. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Its easier if you use the router. It won't hurt anything by going through the router. In fact, its less hassle to do it that way.