How do I connect to another computer to flow internet traffic through it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EAH22, May 26, 2008.

1. EAH22 macrumors member

Here is my situation, I am currently staying at a hospital while my son gets better. My wife and I have been here for weeks and are allowed to access the hospitals network. Its nice that they offer this since time moves very slowly while being in a hospital. The internet access is very restricted due to the fact that it is also the internet connection that employees use.

I want to be able to connect to my sister's computer to flow the traffic through it to get around the networks restrictive firewall. I am somewhat familiar with networking I have used proxies before/tor/ remote desktop etc.... I was interested in using SSH but am not sure if it will allow me to use her internet connection and not bother her control over her computer. The other concern I have is that she is in college and I do not want her to do anything that would cause a problem with her administration.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

P.S i also run linux besides mac if there are any programs for that OS, my sister solely runs mac.

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I'm not sure I fully understand what you want, but have you tried the Internet Sharing pref in System Prefs >> Sharing...?

3. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Why use your sister's computer as your proxy. There are a ton of free proxies out there, or even the tor network you spoke about to get around such firewalls. As for the SSH comment, I think you want to setup an SSH tunnel to do your web surfing though. Here is something to help with the SSH but it might be a little difficult. http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/21/how-to-ssh-tunnels-for-secure-network-access/ They talk about mail, but all you have to do is set up Safari or your web browser instead of Mail.

Suggest just using a proxy or tor network to get to the sites that are blocked. Tor is encrypted just like SSH.