How Do I Connect to my Router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jetheat, May 26, 2009.

1. Jetheat macrumors regular

Since my D-Link G604T Wireless experiences constant dropouts (everytime it is reconnected), I have borrowed a Netgear DG834G v2 router.

I hooked it up and then visit http://192.168.0.1 and it does not connect.

I'm on a Macintosh.

My D-Link control panel was at http://192.168.1.1 and that works fine but the Netgear does not connect for some reason.

Do I need to mess around with IPs to make this work?

JH

2. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

How are you connecting, wired or wireless, and is it giving you an IP address?

3. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

Im connected wirelessly.

How do I know if its giving me an IP address?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

go wired and then setup the wireless from the config page.

you will know its giving you an IP address when Airport has a green light and a n IP address is shown beside it in Network preferences

5. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

I think wired is a big hassle. Wouldn't I have to change Ips and stuff just to hook it up with wire?

Currently, I have my mac set up with my other computers on the network as well as my Time Capsule.
    If I switched to wire, wouldn't I have to change a lot of settings/IPs temporarily?

In Network Prefs, when I select Netgear, the Airport card shows orange light instead of green and Netgear becomes unselected automatically.

Could it be a fault with the router?

JH

6. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Could be or it could be the wireless security settings set on the Netgear, which is why you'll need to connect via ethernet

7. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

To connect via Ethernet, what settings would I have to change?

JH

8. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

To connect, nothing, but you should check the wireless settings as you plan on connecting wirelessly eventually. As you can see the router's SSID and it doesn't ask you for a password when you try and connect (I presume) then check 'MAC Address Filtering' as I believe this is turned on, and that's what is preventing you from connecting. You'll need to enter the MAC address of your Airport card in the approved MAC address list on the router (or turn it off) to connect. However, you'll want to set up some sort of security, I expect.

9. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

You gave me an idea.

The IP addresses needed to be changed.

My Mac had an IP of 192.168.1.11 and I had to change it to 192.168.0.11 because the router IP is 192.168.0.1.

Thanks for that.

Now, onto configuring the Time Capsule to work with the router too!

JH