How do I connect to PC laptop wirelessly?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by macphoria, Oct 22, 2010.

1. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

I have a MacBook with 10.6.4 and trying to connect PC with Windows 7 wirelessly, computer to computer. I'm trying to go into MacBook from PC laptop to copy files.

Is this possible? I tried "Creating Network..." under Airport menu on MacBook, but couldn't get it to work.

Is it possible with ethernet cable?

I could always burn CDs but trying to learn little bit about network and stuff. Any suggestions?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How do you access the internet? I presume you connect each computer to a wireless router, right? In which case you do not want to create a new network. The router is already doing that for you.

Have both machines connected to the internet via the same router (or connect them using an ethernet cable), and then go to System Preferences -> Sharing -> File Sharing -> Options -> Share files and folders via SMB (Windows). Once you have it all set up the Mac should appear in the Network on your Windows box and you can copy files at will.

EDIT: Our guide on the topic: http://guides.macrumors.com/Networking_Windows_with_Mac_OS_X is a bit out of date but might still be useful to you.

B