How do I Connect to router?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by quarkrad, Aug 30, 2009.

1. quarkrad macrumors newbie

Newbie question. I have 17" Powerbook running 10.5 and full internet connectivity via a wireless router. I need to access my router - if I type 192.168.1.1 into Safari's address it says it cannot connect to the server. I downloaded and installed Opera on the same Powerbook and can connect to the router when I type in 192.168.1.1 - why will Safari not connect but Opera will? I need this info because my mother-in-law has a mini mac that is having connection problems and I am trying to prove links in her chain. The first thing is the ethernet link between her mac mini and her router. I could not understand why (her) Safari would not connect to her router and to my surprise when I tried to connect to my router on my Powerbook it would not connect. How does one prove connection to a router when the address is 192.168.1.1? I do not understand why Safari will not connect but Opera does. Thanks.

2. celticpride678

The router access page might not be supported by Safari.

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

You could go to the network settings and select airport. Then go into details and to the TCP/IP folder. There you could make sure you quote your router as the gateway with the 192.168.1.1 address. You may have todo it manually by repeating the IP address you are having now and using mask 255.255.255.0. If you then go back to DHCP and your network setting is the usual you should be keeping the router address as the standard gateway. But it depends of the structure of your DHCP setting. Cable modems tend to mess things up sometimes by putting the router on shared IP adress. This can develop into major headache.

4. quarkrad thread starter macrumors newbie

In the network setting - under tcp I have:

using DHCP
    IPv4 address 192.168.1.4
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Router 192.168.1.1

I'm not sure how I find out if Safari supports my router access page - it is a Netgear router with a web type interface. Most other browsers (i.e. Firefox, Opera) can access it. I would have thought Safari would have no problem with it.

5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

It is indeed strange that the router isn't accessible being the DHCP host. Perhaps the WLAN address is different on the Netgear router. Go to it by Opera and check all IP adresses. You may reach the router web interface on a different address.

6. quarkrad thread starter macrumors newbie

Afraid I need some help here. How do I find the possible 'other addresses'? The router is obviously on my local network so when I type 192.168.1.1 in the address field I only go as far as my local LAN. What and how do I do once in Opera and connected to the opening page on my router?

7. quarkrad thread starter macrumors newbie

I have had a look on google about alternative address but not got anywhere. I can ping my router from the Powerbook terminal - i.e. ping 192.168.1.1 and I communicate with 64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp seq xxx ttl=254 This pinging tells me that the Powerbook can see and talk to 192.168.1.1 as can Opera. I am a newbie to mac' but it would suggest something is stopping Safari from addressing this address. I ping'd www.apple.com and got the ip address - both Opera and Safari connects to the site via the ip address in the address field rather than www.apple.com Is these some parameter somewhere in the mac that blocks local devices? (Out of interest - I have a Linux PC on my local network. I can ping the mac (192.168.1.4) from the Linux PC and communicate and also ping the Linux PC (192.168.1.3) from the mac terminal and communicate).

8. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

You do get to the web interface by opera, you posted. So if you go there you should study all information that is available about your router's IP addresses. As I said it could be possible that the WLAN has another IP address.

I once got my WLAN/LAN completely screwed up by a cable modem that grabbed the MAC address of my MBP and then connected to my router. Because it did not accept the MAC address of the router it let the router share the IP address of the MBP. I had total chaos afterwards because DHCP host was not identical with the internal router adress.

9. quarkrad thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about this - I'm not sure what I need to do when I have the web page in front of me. You say:

So if you go there you should study all information that is available about your router's IP addresses

but I do not know what to do - all I see is the web page and the address in the address field (192.168.1.1). Although I do not know how to find out if there is another address for the router I still do not understand why Opera is OK with 192.168.1.1 but Safari not - on the same PC.