How do I connect to these speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ad Pro, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Ad Pro macrumors member

I have a Creative DDTS 100 decoder and I plan on getting the Harman Kardon HKTS 7 5.1 speakers.

I am not entirely sure how to connect the two however. The creative ddts has three outputs, front, rear and centre/subwoofer outputs, I believe these are minijack sockets.

The Harman Kardons have three inputs, these appear to be RCA Phono and it has inputs for sub, right and left.

Is there an adapter anyone can recommend? How do I go about connecting the decoder to the speakers? any help is much appreciated.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't think you can directly connect them. The requirements for the decoder specifically say "Powered loudspeakers". This tells me that the decoder doesn't have an amplifier. Neither do the speakers: they're just speakers designed to be connected to an amplifier.

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The Creative Decoder requires powered speakers - it doesn't have it's own amplifiers built-in.

You're going to need to get some kind of multi-channel power amp, which isn't going to be cheap.

You're probably better off just getting a budget surround sound receiver. At the budget-end, I strongly recommend a Yamaha.

4. Ad Pro thread starter macrumors member

The Harman Kardon specifications say: "with built-in 100-watt amplifier".

So I presumed they had a built in amplifier. If this is not the case then I will perhaps have to consider a different option.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Over specific quote. It says "a 10-inch subwoofer with built-in 100-watt amplifier". The amplifier is only for the subwoofer. This is normal.

6. Ad Pro thread starter macrumors member

Ah... thanks. I understand now

7. Ad Pro thread starter macrumors member

I really was looking to get the Harman Kardon HKTS 7 speakers. So I am now looking at the Harman Kardon Amplifiers and Receivers.

Do I need a Receiver or an Amplifier?

I need something that will decode 5.1 sound from my mac, up-mix to 5.1 and power the Harman Kardon HKTS 7 speakers.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you are not using the creative decoder you need a receiver as it will have a decoder in it. If you are using the creative decoder you just need a power amplifier with the correct number of channels

9. Ad Pro thread starter macrumors member

I think I will buy the Harman Kardon AVR 132 So I can connect to the Harman Kardon HKTS 7b speakers.

Just to confirm, will this receiver decode 5.1 sound from my mac (I will be using optical out and a tos-link cable) and will it up-mix to 5.1?