How do I connect to xbox live through mywi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jcallaha, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Jcallaha macrumors newbie

I can't connect to xbox live through mywi app. It can't obtain the ip address? I've also tried running a Ethernet cable through my laptop to my xbox and also haven't had any luck. Any advice?

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I can't help with MyWi, but I use my MBP to share an internet connection over WiFi to my XBOX.

You have to change some of the network settings on the XBOX: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/17/how-to-share-your-macs-internet-connection-with-your-xbox/

3. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

I've tried this a few times and it hasn't seemed to work for me. Did a lot of googling and still didn't figure it out either. If you get it to work please let us know

4. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

You can't connect to XBL thru Mywi. Mywi connects as a adhoc network which XBOX 360 nor PS3 support.

5. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Not true. I can connect my xBox 360 to my phone through MyWi and have done it in the past. I wouldn't reccomend it for gameplay unless you manage to get a ping lower than 200MS on SpeedTest though. Hell, the xBox 360 itself can create an AdHoc network which my phone can connect to. To the OP, I'm not sure why you're not able to connect to your phone through MyWi. Are you running a newer slim model or an older one through a network adapter?

6. OrangeSVTguy, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

How did you manage that? I can't seem to get it to work with my iPhone. My xbox sees the my iPhone but cannot to XBL. What network settings did you change on the xbox? Doesn't work when set to automatic.

[edit]
    Guess I need to update my phone to 4.3 as I'm still on 4.2.1 if I want to get this to work :(

7. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I was using it since 4.0.1. How's your speed/ping though? Its also important to note you'll need a decent upload speed. I tried earlier today with 1MB down and 1.5 up, it worked flawlessly. Lastly, are you using an adapter or the XBox Slims newer built in one?

8. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

I've used mywi on xbl many o times! Clearly you're not setting it up right. Make sure you have a good connection, otherwise the xbox will just throw a failed message up. Use the wifi on mywi, and not the Bluetooth... I realize this is obvious...you just never know the caliber of who you're working with. :)

9. OrangeSVTguy, Apr 15, 2011

OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Hahaha. I have a little knowledge of what to do. Using the wifi adapter on my xbox elite to connect to my iPhone. I just not sure of what to set up in my network settings. I know I have to manually change ip address, gateway and dns settings. Done it long ago when sharing my internet through my Mac G4s.

Read somewhere that upgrading my firmware to 4.3 I'll be able to set up an infrastructure network instead of the adhoc which I guess the xbox cannot do?

Thanks for responding, I know it was sort of an older thread lol.

[edit]
    just messed with the settings for a few minutes and success. :)

10. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

The XBox can identify and connect to ADHoc networks without any problems. For me, it was as easy as just connecting to the network as I would ay others. I didn't have to edit any of the settings and such.

11. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Connects to my game just fine and no noticeable lag. Too bad my NAT is strict lol.

Almost feels better than my Time Warner lol.

12. Applejuiced, Apr 15, 2011

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

BINGO:D
    You have to be JB using MyWi on 4.3.1 cause only then MyWi uses the stock infrastructure mode to broadcast thru wifi.
    Anything like 4.2.1 or below will create an adhoc wireless connection so PS3 and some other devices wont be able to connect.

13. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I changed the settings back to auto after I heard the connect sound on the iPhone and it worked. Some reason didn't work the first 4 or so tries on auto

Ping is 254ms download is 474.4kb/s and upload is 23.4kb/s. I'm just playing my old Ghost Recon game tho. Not bad but definitely still playable.

14. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Holy %!*^, and I'm always bitching because I thought my connection sucked. How you managed to connect with that upload speed is beyond me :confused:

15. morereverb macrumors newbie

i'm trying to connect also thru my wi-fi, Iphone4's personal hotspot, ver4.3, ping267ms, 582 dl, 144up(kb/s). xbox sees my iphone, enter passcode ok, then errors. all set on auto. xbox with external adapter. I use my phone for my ipad2 and mac no problem. No network on test. It seems from threads this can be done or am I missing something? Thanks

16. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

please don't. People trying to play live over networks that aren't fast enough to support it (3G in most areas would fall under this category) just ruin the games for everyone trying to play them

17. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

i will have to disagree with you on a grand scale.

My 3g upload speed is quite often 2.5mb down and 1.5 up. This is VERY playable speeds. The people who don't need to be on the network are those with ridiculous pings [like 150ms or higher]. the ping is what will cause a crappy lag in gameplay.