how do I connect two macbooks with a CAT V cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kasmus, Sep 5, 2011.

1. kasmus macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm trying to transfer some photographs from one MacBook to another via CAT V cable. I did it before but forgot how I made it work, so I know it can be done.
    What I did: I plugged in the cable into the ethernet ports on each machine. The Network settings on Mac 1 show a green Ethernet status with "self-assigned IP". I can see Mac 2 on the left column in Finder - Shared, click on it and see the shared folder that is on Mac 2. This is great except I want it to work in both directions.
    On Mac 2, I have an amber Ethernet status, and I can see Mac 1 listed under Shared but I cannot get into Mac 1. After I try "connect as", it tries to connect with Mac 1 but I eventually get a fail:

"The server “XXX's MacBook” may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again."

How do I get both computers to see each other at the same time so I can pull pictures from Mac 1 onto Mac 2?

Thanks

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I do this all the time when using share in iTunes.

I simply make sure that WiFi is off on both computers and run cat5 from each to a router. The Macs automatically connect and it's superfast. I have never had to adjust any settings to get it to work other than turning off WiFi.

3. realchimera macrumors regular

I used to do that 10 years ago on PCs. You need to re-do the pin orders of the ethernet cable head. I think it's the same for Mac. These days it's easier to share files in local networks or using eternal HD, instead of buying a special kit for the cable.

4. Sc00tr macrumors regular

you need to be using a crossover cable. you can get an adapter for just a couple of dollars. Also make sure that you have sharing set up and that you are manually assigning IP addresses on the same network range.

Also you can set up an ad-hock wireles network. Just click on the wireless icon next to the clock and select create network. on the other MAC join the network that you just created.

If you need any more help just post back and Ill walk you through it.

5. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Macs don't need cross-over cables, PCs do though.

Make sure you have sharing on both macs. (This needs to be down on both Macs) Then go to Network panel make a new location by the pull down menu. It might say automatic, you want 'EDIT LOCATIONS'. This will open a window and hit the plus button. Name name this new location 'ethernet', then click done.

Now you will see a list of devices for net working,the only one we care about is Ethernet delete any thing that isn't 'ethernet' (nothing after it), it's normally the top one. You delete the other connections by using the minus button on the bottom of the list, then click on 'APPLY'. This is where it might get confusing;

(NOTE: To bring back the automatic 4

Make sure the two Macs are 'Using DHCP', this should give them each an IP Address. That is assuming that the two computers have a link to each other, you can check this by looking at 'STATUS'. It should say connected on both Macs.

If you don't get connection try another cable if it's possible.

If both computers show a link. Then try to connect to the other Mac's server (either one).

Try that see if that works. If not we can do other things to get the Macs them to work together. But wouldn't be easier to use Target Mode via Firewire?

Hugh

Try tha

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not true, not for a long time. The post above me alluded to it as well, but Macs have had auto-sensing ports since at least the early iMacs (the colored ones). Just connecting a straight ethernet cable between two Macs, or even a Mac and a PC, will work just fine.

jW

7. czeano macrumors newbie

Nothing with a gigabit ethernet port requires a crossover cable, regardless of whether it's a mac or not. GigE doesn't use the same tx/rx pins as 10base-t or 100base-tx.