How do I control what shows up in my friends' news feeds on Facebook?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Nov 3, 2013.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

Is every picture I upload displayed on their newsfeed??

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Not necessarily. Facebook uses several methods to determine what winds up in users' top stories feed. One is that they regularly comment or look at posts. Another would be if they've clicked Friends > Get Notifications on a friends timeline. Nothing is a guarantee though.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There's a couple of ways you can do this. By default, iOS and the FB app uploads to the iOS Photos album. You can create an album that has permissions only for certain friends, or certain lists then upload to that album (you can change which album and which permissions you want to use when uploading an image using iOS and the FB app). Or specify which friends or lists can see the iOS Photos album.

You can also set a default permissions set for any new photo album or post. Anyone not on those lists does not see your post or any photos sent to that album. Additionally you can change which lists are allowed to see a photo (or post) when you send it.

The hardest part of all of this is setting up the lists and putting your friends on the right lists.

4. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

So there is no way for me to manually control what appears in other people's feeds? I don't want every picture or any for that matter to appear in people's news feeds.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There is no middle ground, if that is what you mean. They can either see it or not, FB does not allow you to control what VISIBLE things appear in their feed or not.

You can hide it altogether by denying them the permission to see it. That is the only way to make sure they never see it at all.

But if you do not deny them permission - it's visible. And if it's visible they can see it. Depending on how closely they interact with you it may or may not appear in their newsfeed. FB follows it's own algorithim for that.

If it does not appear in their feed because FB determines that you are not interacting much with them then it's still visible if they decide to visit your wall - unless you specifically tell FB they cannot see it.

Does that make sense?

6. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

lol then why upload any pictures at all...or why use Facebook???

When uploading a picture you have the option of selecting which of your friends can view the pictures, or you can even set the preference so that only you can view the post.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

While true, that doesn't mean Facebook in it's infinite wisdom will display it on the News Feed.

8. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

You don't understand why I would want my friends to be able to access my photos but that I wouldn't want to bombard them with EVERY photo I upload in their newsfeed??

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That's completely out of your control. Facebook's algorithim controls this. If your friends are upset then they should turn all updates off and switch to important updates only.

The more your friends interact with you on FB, the more they will see of you in their newsfeed.

10. walie macrumors 6502a

Then just don't upload it.

Why is this so hard.

11. chin0 macrumors newbie

Change your privacy to "only me" then go to each picture a day later and change to back to friends.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Clearest answer so far. This is exactly what Facebook's algorithm is designed to do.