How do I copy a CD or DVD? and print labels

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by qveda, Oct 25, 2008.

1. qveda macrumors regular

Just migrated to Mac. :)
    On my pc, with Nero free s/w, it was very easy to duplicate a CD or DVD, make a music or data CD or DVD. I used inexpensive s/w to print labels onto printable CDs on my HP printer (which has a CD printing tray).

What is the easy way to do this on Mac with a single superdrive? I assume I may need some software. What do you recommend that is free, shareware, or inexpensive?

2. dizzlemizzle macrumors member

i use a lightweight and easy program called 'Burn' which can be found here
    http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/

i don't do a lot of single copies...i import to itunes then burn through itunes for music so i'm not sure if this will work for you but its a good program to have anyway

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Hi- First off welcome to the Mac side of the world.

One very helpful source of information for you as you adjust to the Mac perspective is the "Help" menu in the Finder (when you are at the Desktop in other words).

The following info came up in "Help" when I took a look just now to see what it had--

So go ahead and open Disk Utilities and do the search it suggests and you will find that duplicating them is quite simple using the built in tools.

Good luck!

BTW- Printing labels on the Mac can be done with many disk label printing programs- my personal favorite by far (since it can print on any type or configuration of label or directly on printable disks with my Epson) is called Discus. The interface is a little strange (and be sure to turn off the sounds if you try it before they drive you batty!) but it has a LOT of options for doing cool labels and disks. You can check it out and download a demo at Discus.

4. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, Thanks SickMacDoc for the tip on Discus. This looks like the kind of labeling s/w I was looking for. I'll check out the Disk Utility Help as you suggested. I tried Disk Utility but was only able to burn an image (unplayable) disk, but I didn't see the other information you pointed me to . Not sure what is meant by a 'remote' optical drive. Besides the single superdrive that is in my MacPro, I have a USB CD/DVD burner that I could also connect. But I was hoping to simply duplicate disks by using the superdrive. Thanks!

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Just to follow up, the remote disks they are talking about I think would be ones on other systems that you can see over a network, but I am not sure about that. I am just basing that on the comment in the same line that makes it clear that you can burn to external opticals that are directly connect to your Mac.

One thing to note about making copies through Disk Utility (though this will be in the help file) is that when you first click "New Image" you must choose "DVD/CD Master" for the Image Format when it presents you with the file selector to define where you want to put the new image if you are copying disks. See below.

You should have no problem duplicating disks with just your internal drive as long as you make that choice. :)

Attached Files: