How do I copy a dvd that I created

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marvingentry, Jul 9, 2009.

1. marvingentry macrumors newbie

I have a home video dvd. I have tried to copy it by opening utility disc, but can't seem to figure it out. Can anyone help? Much thanks. I have an IMac, 1 year old.

2. tallguy macrumors regular

Do you want to copy it to another dvd? If so you could use handbrake to rip the dvd to your mac and then burn that file to another disc. You could also use toast titanium which is much easier but it's cost some money.

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Use MacTheRipper (free) to copy the DVD to your hard drive and then Toast (not free) to burn it to a DVD

4. tallguy macrumors regular

If you have toast it has an option to just copy a disc to another one. No need to use mactheripper.

5. marvingentry thread starter macrumors newbie

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Yup. With no copyright protection on it, Toast will let you make in image/burn a copy if you like.

Using MacTheRipper would require Toast. You could use Handbrake, and if it's a proper format, transfer the movie into iMovie, and burn it with iDVD. However, last time I attempted that, I had to use QuickTime (I have QT Pro, if that was necessary) to take the ripped video to convert it into a format iMovie liked. You will lose quality, but if it's a home video it's typically not too noticeable.