How do I copy my DVD's to my macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jonesy85, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Jonesy85 macrumors member

I'd like to copy some of my DVD's (that I did purchase) to my Macbook, but I can't figure out how. I've copied the Audio_TS and Video_TS folders, but I can't play those. Also, if I burn those folders to a blank dvd, I can't play it on a dvd player. Is there any way I can use those folders to play the dvd on my mac and also burn it to a blank dvd to watch with a dvd player?

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Download Handbrake.

That will rip the DVD and encode it into a variety of formats of your choice (will take a while). If you want to watch it on your iPod, select the iPod preset and then once its done drag the output file into iTunes then sync to your iPod.

Then to reburn, just drop it into iDVD (included on all Macs) and burn it (will also take a while).

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Assuming you have actually purchased these DVDs then you will need to remove the copy protection from them before you are able to copy them. Check out Mac the Ripper. Handbrake may be of interest to you as well. :cool:

4. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

You have to decrypt the DVD first.

I use a programm called fairmount (needs VLC installed) to decrypt the DVD and then i use another program (called DMGConverter) to convert it to an iso. You could use Handbrake (with VLC installed) to rip the DVD to an .avi or other file.

The steps i use for fairmount and DMG converter are this:
    1. insert DVD
    2. launch fairmount
    3. create a folder on the desktop with the title of the movie
    4. drag Video_TS folder from the disk image tot he folder just created
    5. Let fairmount do it's thing.
    6. once the folder is done use DMGConverter to convert the folder to an .iso file

This works pretty well but there are some DVD's that cause fairmount some problems. If that happens then other means may be needed to copy the DVD.

Handbrake is simpler to use, especially if you just want a .avi file or something similar. I want perfect copies of my DVD's so i use Fairmount and DMGConverter.

5. Trainwreck707 macrumors member

DVD Player will play Video TS folders. File--->open and select the folder that holds the Video & Audio TS folders.

DVD player always freezes when I fast forward though so I use VLC. It can be downloaded for free and is a much better video player.

Edit: I use Mac The Ripper to extract the Video and Audio TS folder to my HD. I like having exact copies as well, but if I want to play it on my iPod or xbox360, I use Handbrake.

6. Jonesy85 thread starter macrumors member

All right. Thanks a lot for all the information.

7. jaybee5000 macrumors newbie

Titles & Chapters

Hi All

I have VLC and Handbrake installed, I have two issues....

One is it possible to make a video of all the chapters on the dvd into a single video. Currently when I open the source in HandBrake it tells me I have 11 titles with one chapter each and will only allow me to convert one title at a time ( bear in mind it's not a movie it is a tutorial I bought, so this may just be some issue with the way the dvd was authored)

Two I seem to be only able to output one channel of audio, even if it is mono is it possible to output dual mono

Cheers JB

Imac g5 20" / ipod touch / iphone