how do i copy update to disc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kezza, Jan 16, 2009.

1. kezza macrumors newbie

need someone's help please, how can I copy update 10.5.6 to a disc, so I can install on another mac, instead of downloading it all again? I have installed it, but now not sure where to look for it ... forgive me for being a bit dim :confused: cheers kezza !

2. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

Did you install it via Software Update or did you download it from Apple.com? If you downloaded it via SU, I don't think it saves the installer unless you specifically select "Update --> Install and Keep Package" from the Software Update menu. Sorry :(

This link is the 10.5.6 update (install it on a 10.5.5 machine) and this is the combo update, which I believe covers all updates from Leopard's initial release. The combo is almost twice the filesize, 668MB.

After you download it I think you can just drag it to a burnable disc, but I'm not sure, since I've never burned anything on my Mac before :p

3. kezza thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for reply LTX I installed 10.5.6 update from a disc, someone was kind enough to loan me, ( I have now given the disc back ) now I want to pay it on and loan a disc that I can make to someone else just trying to be helpful to someone to save them downloading it , thats all - I did try and drag it to a burnable disc, but it wouldn't let me do that, the message came up that it was just an alias and needed to source the original except I have no idea where to find it now

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Given that message, I imagine the source for the alias is the copy on the disk you borrowed. To find out for sure, just click the alias file one time, then select "Get Info" from the "File" menu and the info shown will indicate where the original is. You can also just click the alias once and use "Show Original" from the "File" menu too. Either way works.

For simplicity if you find that the original is not on your system, just download the combo updater from the link given above if you have a decent speed internet connection, then drag that file to a disk and burn the disk.

5. kezza thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks sickmacdoc, I have tried to "get info" it comes up volume/...bla bla, but where do I find volume? ( I have tried - but new to all this and now don't want to dig too far as I am confused enough as it is ) I am on dial up connection, not through choice, I have no other option other than dial up, this is why the disc was leant to me in the first place, should I give in? kezza

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK well first off Volume isn't really a place in itself- it is kind of like a category (I'm trying to think of a good way of explaining it simply! ;))

For simplicity, let's just say that if I had two hard disks called Disk 1 and Disk 2, to allow the system itself to keep track of them it would refer to them as Volumes/Disk1 and Volumes/Disk2. Oversimplified but let's leave it at that!

So anyway, you can pretty much forget the "Volumes/" at the start of the line and pay attention to next part- and if the next part is not the name of your hard disk then it is probably the name of the CD the file was on when you had it. If it is the name of your hard disk, then the rest of the line will tell you where on your hard drive it is located.

Simpler than messing with that though would be to simply use the second method I mentioned (clicking the alias one time and then selecting "Show Original" in the "File" menu) which will take you right to the original file if it is somewhere on your hard drive.

Yeah, if you are on dialup you sure did the right thing by getting it on disk- so maybe you can have a copy of the disk sent to you or a new one made for you. Considering the 10.5.6 Combo Updater is almost 700Mb dialup is of course not an option. Before you give up though, use the second method from above and see-- maybe it is just hiding on your hard drive somewhere!