How do I copyright a dvd

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gokuu, Jun 3, 2007.

1. gokuu macrumors member

How do I copyright a dvd I make. I mean this is something im making for like 30 people and so, I want them to come back to me for copies and not easily make copies them selves. And these are averages joes, not like us who can find some program to help bypass the copyright...

I use toast 8 to burn...

Anything guys?

2. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I assume you mean copy-protect? Anything you create is automatically copyrighted by the act of creating it, at least in the U.S. Anyway, I don't think you can copy-protect a disc yourself. There are companies who master copy-protected discs though.

--Eric

3. gokuu thread starter macrumors member

Ahhhhhh, so when I make my DVD in Toast 8. the client wont be able to copy it?

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Legally, they can't copy it. So you could pursue civil charges against them for copyright infringement. That's what a copyright is.

But technically speaking, it's a breeze for them to copy the disc. That's where copy protection comes in. And I'm not aware of do-it-yourself mechanisms for doing so.

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Sure they will, physically anyway. If you're only concerned about legality, then yes, just making a DVD is enough to copyright it legally. Although you should register it with the copyright office if you think there's any chance you'll end up in court because having the registration will make things easier. But if you are concerned with being able to physically make copies, then there are (as I said) companies that will master copy-protected discs for you. As far as I know, all the various copy-protection methods require special hardware to produce discs that way, which you can't do with an ordinary DVD burner.

--Eric

6. gokuu thread starter macrumors member

Oh ok....Yeah I was meaning just physically....thats cool no worries then....thanks a lot :apple: :apple:

7. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i'm not 100% sure cause it's been a long time since i last used it, but i think that DVD Studio Pro can copy-protect the DVDs you make...

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

As Eric5h5 said, only a duplication/replication facility can add copy protection to a DVD. There are options inside DVD SP to select what, if any, copy protection you want to use, but the only way to make that copy protection active is to take it to a proper authoring facility.

Lethal

9. Crazysah macrumors member

Can Sony Vegas Studio Creator or whatever it is called... copy-right dvd's?

10. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

IIRC commercial DVD ROMs have slightly more data storage than DVD Rs. There is an extra track on the inside, near the hub, that is used to store the copy-protection information. Since the DVD Rs that we use to record to don't have that track, we can't add protection to "home-made" DVDs.

And again, as people have said above, it's Copy Protection we're talking about here - the physical barrier to copying a DVD. Copy Righting is a legal issue that would play out in court.

11. Zukum macrumors member

I believe if you burn your original with iDVD, than if you make copies using disk utilities, there is a box you check to encrypt it. It will ask you for a password to be required if anyone wants to copy it.