Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ben824

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
GA
Hey all, I opened disk utility for the first time since upgrading to El Capitan and it's very different. I can't figure out how to create a bootable USB with disk utility. I have a 2011 MBP so I can't do it through bootcamp assistant. I'm trying to create a bootable USB for Windows 7 to run in Virtual Box. Can anyone help offer up some instruction on how I can accomplish this?

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
If you need to run windows 7 in Virtual Box, all you need is to mount the ISO file of Windows 7 as CD.
If it is because you have a physical disc, you can create one with the disc utility. Just create a CD/DVD Master, and then open the terminal and type this command:
hdiutil convert /path/imagefile.cdr -format UDTO -o /path/convertedimage.iso

Repace "/path/imagefile.cdr" with the location of the CDR file you created, replace "/path/convertedimage.iso" the the location and the file name you want for the ISO file. If you store your files on the desktop, you can use this path both for the CDR file and the ISO: "~/Desktop/FILENAME.FILELASTNAME"
Remember to replace the file name and the file extension, if you copy paste the above.

I hope it helps :)

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Hey all, I opened disk utility for the first time since upgrading to El Capitan and it's very different. I can't figure out how to create a bootable USB with disk utility. I have a 2011 MBP so I can't do it through bootcamp assistant. I'm trying to create a bootable USB for Windows 7 to run in Virtual Box. Can anyone help offer up some instruction on how I can accomplish this?
You could just create an ISO file with all the windows 7 setup files and mount that in VB. No need to create a bootable USB.

ben824

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
GA
Ok you guys definitely helped me out a lot!

But for the future, my question still stands, how do I create a bootable USB now? I don't see how I can use Disk Utility to create one for Windows or for OS X

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014

But for the future, my question still stands, how do I create a bootable USB now? I don't see how I can use Disk Utility to create one for Windows or for OS X
I use this to create a bootable USB for OS X installation

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

As far as Windows, haven't been able to do it in OS X. I just use one of my Windows machines to create an ISO file then burn to disc (if installing on a Windows machine) or use the ISO file itself (when installing to VirtualBox or Fusion).

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015

For creating a bootable USB installer of OS X the easiest ways is DiskMaker X 5.01 (for Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan) and the previous version 3.04 (for Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks). http://diskmakerx.com

Maybe UNetbootin (http://unetbootin.github.io) what is supposed to create bootable Linux USB drives can do this with a Windows ISO too. I read you have to format the drive to NTFS before and don't know if this still works with the El Capitan Disk Utility if you install something like Tuxera NTFS (I just installed the trial) or Paragon NTFS, but it can be done in the Terminal:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-12-22 um 16.40.29.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.