How do I create a data partition for use with Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ajbrehm, Nov 13, 2009.

1. ajbrehm macrumors 6502

I am planning to install Boot Camp and Windows Vista on my MacBook.

But I want a FAT32 data partition both systems can access.

How do I create three partitions, one for Mac OS X, one for Windows, and one for data using the Boot Camp tools?

Or can Mac OS X read and write to NTFS partitions now?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac OS X can read NTFS formatted volumes natively, but needs MacFuse + NTFS-3G to write to NTFS formatted drives.

Windows can't read or write HFS+ formatted volumes natively, it needs MacDrive to do so.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

FWIW, bootcamp can only create a single partition. I suppose you can create a large bootcamp partition and during the install process use only a portion of that space and then create a FAT32 partition that both windows and OSX can easily read/write.

4. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

I read that Snow Leopard's Windows drivers would allow Windows to read HFS+?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Snow_Leopard

5. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

I think the Windows partition has to be the last partition on the disk.

I'll try shrinking the Mac partition and then delete and replace the Windows partition in Disk Utility. Going back to the Boot Camp Assistant I'll see if I can use one of the two partitions for Windows.

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Bootcamp is just a partitioning tool, and isn't needed for Windows.

If starting from scratch, you can partition through Disk Utility with the bottom partition as MS-DOS (FAT 16 which both systems can access) format (during the Windows installation you can change the format to NTFS or FAT 32), and later boot to a Windows installation disk by holding down the C key during boot or holding down the OPTION key.

Search Google or Mroogle if you want to know how to set up multiple partitions for multiple OS's through Disk Utility. It has been done before and shouldn't be much different in Snow Leopard.