How do I create a desktop shortcut to double-click & sleep?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iSamurai, Aug 10, 2009.

1. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

There's something like that in windows where you can actually have the shutdown/logoff/sleep buttons on the desktop as shortcuts...

Is there a way to create a desktop icon to make my mac sleep?

I know the keyboard shortcut but I'd prefer to click... and yeah going to the top-left corner and click on the apple button and go down to sleep is not quick :)

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Can you not use Hot Corners in the screensaver pref pane?

3. revs macrumors regular

Press the power button once. press 's'. You should be able to do that quicker than using the apple menu :)

And if you really want a double clickable app - then you can probably do it with AppleScript, but I think PowerButton then 's' will be faster.

4. Ooz Guest

Hitting Option + Command + Eject simultaneously does this right away. Faster than one breath :)

5. t22design macrumors regular

If you really want a desktop icon, you can use automator. Then save it as an application.

Attached Files:

6. Oh-es-Ten macrumors regular

Oh-es-Ten

You could also download 'Dockables' and put the action in your Dock if you like..

http://dockables.en.softonic.com/mac

It's a neat little tool, I just use the 'Empty Trash' one.

7. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

no... unfortunately that only puts the screen to sleep.

thanks for the tip but I use an iMac so it'd be harder to reach for the power button :(

hehehe, I knew this but it would require two hands or one but in an awkward position...

This is probably what I'm looking for. Unfortunately I have no idea how to make it as an application! I know some Java but that's it X__X

Can you tell me how to make a sleep app?

This is probably the closest thing I'm looking for! I'd prefer something on the desktop to save the dock from being too cluttered. But this is excellent! Thanks!
    //edit
    hey man this is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! They're actually apps stored in the applications folder. The picture shown was with the apps placed in the dock. I can now put them on the desktop!! THANKS again!!

8. poolish macrumors regular

open applescript editor, paste this...

tell application "Finder" to sleep

then save as, and change file format to application. then put it on your desktop or dock