How do I create a membership style site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by rporter, Sep 30, 2008.

1. rporter macrumors newbie

My idea is to have a website where members can create there own profile and then they can post classifieds on the site.

Does anyone know how to create a membership based site in iWeb and does anyone know how to create a site where the information is posted by the users of the members?

I have been using iWeb and I would like to stay with it if possible.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

2. rekhyt macrumors 65816

No offense, I don't think it's quite possible to do that. I once had an idea to do that, but it seemed very hard and was stopped. It's possible to do a paypal subscription thing, but then it would be hard to manage, and how would you make the login system for the people who paid and one for the people who didn't?

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There's a 0 chance possibility of using iWeb for this. That's well beyond what iWeb is intended for.

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

You'll need a database to keep a list of usernames and passwords and the users' profile data. You could use a flat-file to store the data, but most solutions will use MySQL. PHP is your best bet for the back-end processing. The good news is that this sort of thing has been done before, and you can probably adapt one of many existing CMS scripts or classified-ad manager scripts to do the job.

You don't need to know too much about HTML or PHP/MySQL to install and run one of those off-the-shelf script solutions to your web host. Many of them are as simple as FTP'ing the files to the server and running an install script. The rest of the configuration is browser-based. But you will probably need a host other than .Mac/MobileMe in order to be able to run PHP/SQL.

I did a quick Google search on "PHP classified ad script" and found a bunch you could try. One that looked pretty nice (I picked it at random) is Noah's Classifieds. Visit their site at: http://www.noahsclassifieds.org/ You can check out a demo of what the site would look at, and they provide a demo admin password so you can see what it would look like to administer the back-end. It's free, too. Looks like it would be perfectly servicable. If you don't like that one, there are tons of others out there.

5. rporter thread starter macrumors newbie

Some examples

Take a look at www.gobignetwork.com or www.go4funding.com. They have a good model of the kind of membership model that I am trying to create. This should give you guys a better idea of what I am talking about.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

No, we understood, you're just not going to be able to do that with iWeb. See notjustjay's post on what you would need.

7. web_god61 macrumors regular

web_god61

Hey guys, i wanna make a site thats kind of like a mix between ebay and myspace.... but its gonna be like 500x better because its even gonna have youtube style videos in it. Also i wanna have pictures flying around the screen and every 100,000th visitor wins a cake.

I have no knowledge of PHP, CSS, [insert required language here], but my idea is solid and i know what looks good. I must do this in 3 days or the world will implode.

So is this possible, thanks.

8. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

Been there done that, see http://www.apple.com/ilife/iweb/. make sure to check out the insert html tool.