How do I create bootable Windows 7 USB in mac osx?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jdnhldn, Nov 28, 2010.

1. jdnhldn macrumors newbie

I have managed to download windows 7 from msdnaa. It's in ".iso" file format. Through hdiutil, I then converted it to ".img" but it says ".img.dmg" but I think it's both.

Main question: What do I do next to make it a bootable winows 7 usb?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can't get it to boot via USB. Windows generally doesn't like to boot that way and Macs are particularly finicky about it to the point that the sanctioned USB installers don't usually work.

Three ways you can go that are proven:

1 burn the ISO to disc and boot from that
    2 install it via parallels/VMWare fusion
    3 create a throwaway partition on your internal HDD and install from that.

The latter two are detailed in a thread I will link to later. EDIT: here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=601414

B

3. jdnhldn thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not going to boot it on mac. I will boot it up on my PC.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How was I supposed to guess that?

The tools to do so on Windows are plentiful, if you don't already have Windows on your Mac download Virtualbox or a trial of Fusion/Parallels and install Windows from the ISO to that don't use the product key or activate it since you will only use it to build your USB.

I've personally used this guide to do so: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/ or use the tool MS provides http://store.microsoft.com/help/iso-tool

B

5. jdnhldn thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry that I didn't mention that.

Another question, is it possible to install windows on boot camp using a bootable usb? or do I need to have cd? I have mba and it's no cd drive on it.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

7. jdnhldn thread starter macrumors newbie

So I can install Windows 7 through the Virtual machine and boot naturally? Will it come with any boot handler? Or boot loader to make it possible choosing os?

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There is a built in boot loader in OS X as part of Boot Camp.

The pure VM route just uses the VM software to copy all the files from the ISO to the Boot Camp partition and then goes forward as a standard Boot Camp install. (I don't recall if there is an additional step required to make sure it will boot or not, but check the thread I linked earlier and ask specific questions there).

B

9. jdnhldn thread starter macrumors newbie

case closed everything works

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/9136...with-boot-camp-without-an-external-dvd-drive/

Which is the one u mentioned, is a great tutorial. Not too much text either. Works great! Just remember to put the Windows 7 in NTFS when doing a formate of the USB!

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you realize Windows is one activated install at one time?

No, you cannot install a MSDN copy on a PC, a Mac on a bootcamp, and a virtual machine at the same time and expect it to function.

Do not put it on USB. Just burn the disk.