Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2011
hey guys i want to do a music video soon, im by no means a proffesional at creating graphics but il spend weeks trying to if i need it, i just wanted to create a speaker that folds out like the on in this music video, i have fcpx motion after affects and any other programme thats needed, here the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0fk6syQ7iY&ob=av2e at around 20 seconds is what im sort of after..

any clues please?

Thank you

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
The example from the video posted could feasibly be done with something like After Effects, but you'd probably be better off with a 3D modeling program to truly get the 3D effect.

I'd really try learning the basics of these programs first before you try to do any specific effects you want.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
The example from the video posted could feasibly be done with something like After Effects...

How? After Effects only supports planar 3D. The speakers are clearly animated and rendered in a 3D suite. If you can do this in AE, you're the top artist out there.

The "flat" elements suspended in midair could be done with After Effects and boujou, however.

I think you'd need Maya, Cinema 4D, XSI, Studio Max, (Blender?) or the like, as well as Boujou or pftrack or something to produce the effects done in this video. It looks pretty difficult; based on work we've farmed out the effects budget probably ran between $20,000 and $100,0000.

If I were you, I would do the effects you know how to do yourself and then put out bids on this one. If you do choose to do it yourself and have access to the software, I'd start with Boujou, your 3D suite of choice, and your compositing software of choice. I might just farm this one effect out, you could probably find a hungry freelance artist looking to make an impressive reel who'd do it cheap. Unless you are that freelance artist in which case, best of luck!

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
How? After Effects only supports planar 3D. The speakers are clearly animated and rendered in a 3D suite. If you can do this in AE, you're the top artist out there.

The "flat" elements suspended in midair could be done with After Effects and boujou, however.

I never said it would be easy or it would look as good, but you can certainly fake the 3D with planar objects. None of those shapes are really complex nor do they posses much variation in depth.

That being said, you would be better off with modeling and animating in 3D, especially if the objects are more complex.

But it can certainly be done effectively in AE.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2011

I think you'd need Maya, Cinema 4D, XSI, Studio Max, (Blender?) or the like, as well as Boujou or pftrack or something to produce the effects done in this video. It looks pretty difficult; based on work we've farmed out the effects budget probably ran between $20,000 and $100,0000.

If I were you, I would do the effects you know how to do yourself and then put out bids on this one. If you do choose to do it yourself and have access to the software, I'd start with Boujou, your 3D suite of choice, and your compositing software of choice. I might just farm this one effect out, you could probably find a hungry freelance artist looking to make an impressive reel who'd do it cheap. Unless you are that freelance artist in which case, best of luck!

thanks for the info, il start looking up, as i said money is no problem, im just keen to learn, even if its just for one effect, i certainly wont be paying anyone though to do this for me, the experience is so that i can do it myself, i will look into boujou (admittedly iv never heard of it) and i can get maya now, it definitly seems like alot of hard work, but also worth it if it can be somewhat resembled, im a huge believer in anything is possible aslong as you put your mind and effort into it, (yes im one of those kids who left school with nothing and has built up a range of skills through determination to prove everyone wrong im not a dumbass)

so boujou, maya, then final cut it is then

----------

I never said it would be easy or it would look as good, but you can certainly fake the 3D with planar objects. None of those shapes are really complex nor do they posses much variation in depth.

That being said, you would be better off with modeling and animating in 3D, especially if the objects are more complex.

But it can certainly be done effectively in AE.

thanks for your input too, perhaps if the 3d modelling proves too hard il look it up in videocopilot there must be something about folding 3d objects.. unless you have a link :)

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
Best of luck, and the artists on the video likely started out like you did.

Just an fyi, though, 3D is hard... If you can learn After Effects in a week, learning to track, animate, texture, model, etc. in Maya could still take six months. And tutorials are harder to find. Skills as an artist (2d animator, sculptor, sketch artist, matte painter, etc.) are more important. But if you master 3D, there are great paying jobs out there and almost anything is possible for your own videos. I wish I'd learned Studio Max better than I have, but I'm just not that good an artist. These programs are amazing.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
thanks for the info, il start looking up, as i said money is no problem, im just keen to learn, even if its just for one effect, i certainly wont be paying anyone though to do this for me, the experience is so that i can do it myself, i will look into boujou (admittedly iv never heard of it) and i can get maya now, it definitly seems like alot of hard work, but also worth it if it can be somewhat resembled, im a huge believer in anything is possible aslong as you put your mind and effort into it, (yes im one of those kids who left school with nothing and has built up a range of skills through determination to prove everyone wrong im not a dumbass)

----------

thanks for your input too, perhaps if the 3d modelling proves too hard il look it up in videocopilot there must be something about folding 3d objects.. unless you have a link :)

I wouldn't start with Boujou personally. Its a match moving software (and an excellent one) but you could probably do this just fine without.

If you are into learning, start with a 3D modeling software first, or if you are more interested in the video special effects not just the 3D speakers and such try After Effects. Remember you can render a video of a 3D object and import that video into After Effects as a 2D clip which is possibly what was done here. With masking, you can easily remove the background of the rendered video.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008

As already suggested, I wouldn't put as much effort into Boujou. You can learn tracking skills with other programs.

You need to add a compositing program to that list. After Effects is probably the most accessible tutorial wise. You'll also learn the skills to create a lot of the other motion graphics seen in videos like the example you posted.

3D (especially Maya) can be very complicated. You could spend months learning the software and not even scratch the surface of what's possible with it.

I recommend starting to learn these programs from the ground up. Don't get your mind set on trying to accomplish a certain effect without knowing the ins and outs of the software itself. The only thing that usually comes out of that is that you learn how to do a certain effect, but not the why and how you got there. Look at sites like creative cow and lynda. Video CoPilot is also pretty good. Though some of his effects themselves might not be the most practical for what you're looking for, Andrew Kramer definitely has a pretty down to earth teaching style that's a lot more tolerable than other tutorials.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Some really good advice guys I appreciate it, my goal is to create 2 speakers with my hands out palms facing up then they rise and fold out to my artist name, I would spend time learning from the ground up but I work almost all the time and rarely get the chance to do anything, I got Boujou but il hold off from learning about it for now, guess il try to get maya and see what I can manAge I might even know someone in my contacts that uses it with any luck.. If I do manage to do anything il post it in this thread

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I followed a course on Cinema 4D from fxphd.com and it was good... I've been learning C4D for a year now and can just barely put together real scenes now ! I suppose tenacity is a quality when learning these programs ^^

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Some really good advice guys I appreciate it, my goal is to create 2 speakers with my hands out palms facing up then they rise and fold out to my artist name, I would spend time learning from the ground up but I work almost all the time and rarely get the chance to do anything, I got Boujou but il hold off from learning about it for now, guess il try to get maya and see what I can manAge I might even know someone in my contacts that uses it with any luck.. If I do manage to do anything il post it in this thread

Omg Boujou is NOT cheap! Lol. You may not even end up using it at all. Honestly I think you'll gain the most by learning After Effects first, see what your limitations are, then jump to a 3D program like Maya or Cinema 4D.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
Agreed, take it one step at a time. Boujou would be the starting point for such a shot (assuming there's camera motion), but it requires knowledge of 3d animation and 2d compositing to be useful. And for less than the cost of the software you could hire someone to do that shot.

Boujou is for tracking motion from 3d space. So if you want to add 3d elements into a scene where there's camera motion, you can reverse engineer the camera motion and import it into your 3d program. Other alternatives include pftrack, syntheyes, probably a lot of other stuff... But this is mostly useless unless you have knowledge of 3d in the first place. Boujou requires a 3d animation suite to be useful (although it can also provide basic camera moves into After Effects, which is useful!).

Maya is for 3d modeling, texturing, animation, and rendering. It's where you'd make the actual effect. A pretty difficult program, honestly. No one (except maybe vfx sups and some crazy motivated artists) really knows all there is to know...most people choose to master one discipline: modeling, texturing, animation, shaders, particle systems and simulations, etc. And each of those jobs can pay six figures. Alternatives include XSI, Studio Max, Blender, etc. But all this is useless unless you can composite it into the scene.

After Effects is basic compositing software, for putting the results of your 3d render believably into your footage. It can get complicated if you use it for motion graphics but as a compositing program it's super simple and kind of limited by its interface. Still powerful! Higher end alternatives include Nuke, Fusion, Smoke, and Flame.

Doing a shot like that requires quite a bit of knowledge of all these programs. One artist can do it, but people go to school for many years just to master one of these disciplines enough to do it professionally. Absolutely if you set your mind to it you can do that shot, but just be prepared to commit to it for the sake of learning the software, not for the sake of getting the shot done. Cheaper and MUCH faster to farm it out or come up with a way of cheating the effect to be easier.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2011

Yeah I've been under no impression that this will be easy, and hell if I could at least create something even a ball using these programmes then that's fine, true it does take years but evolution grows more faster and we learn to fast track. I'm not going to lie, everything I do will mostly be based on tutorials but my goal is an effect
Not how to use the programme inside out,

So far I have these programmes to my disposal, Boujou 5, after effects, motion, nuke, fcpx, fcp7, mayA and some others too today hopefully I can get started on project speaker box

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

Yeah I've been under no impression that this will be easy, and hell if I could at least create something even a ball using these programmes then that's fine...

Well if all you want to do is create a ball open up Maya, where you see in the upper left corner a drop down that says "Animation", change it to "Polygons", then on the top menu bar click "Create" -> "Polygon Sphere" and then drag it in to the scene. Click "6" on your keyboard and then click on the top menu bar "Mesh" -> "Smooth".

And now you have a ball to get you started on your journey ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.