How do I curve a line in Photoshop?

h0kie99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
VA
I have Googled several tutorials and nothing is helping... I want to know how to curve lines that I create using the "line tool" ... much like the green line on this site: PartnerMD.com ... I have tried going roundabout ways by using the curved rectangle tool and several elliptical shapes, but it is really getting complicated. I'm sure there's a better way... any help?

Thank you!!!!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
h0kie99 said:
I have Googled several tutorials and nothing is helping... I want to know how to curve lines that I create using the "line tool" ... much like the green line on this site: PartnerMD.com ... I have tried going roundabout ways by using the curved rectangle tool and several elliptical shapes, but it is really getting complicated. I'm sure there's a better way... any help?

Thank you!!!!
I would use the pen tool. Click and drag to create "handles" as you draw the line. Then convert it to a pencil stroke. But there are probably others with a lot more PS experience with better ideas.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Make your line as a Path (the second button on the options bar). Then use the Add Anchor Point tool (looks like a pen with a plus sign; it's one of the variants of the Pen tool) to click on the path near its midpoint (or wherever). Use the Direct Selection Tool (white arrow) to drag points and their handles until you get the shape you want. You can use the Add Anchor Points and Delete Anchor Points tool at any point. When you've got the shape you want, use the Path Selection Tool (black arrow) to right/control-click on the path and choose "Stroke Path." It'll use your current settings for whichever tool you select (pen, brush, pattern, etc), but don't sweat it if you don't like the effect -- the path stays in place until you move or delete it, so you can tinker with the stroke step till you get it right.

h0kie99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
VA
:( I tried all of these things and I am having so much trouble! I know a lot about PS, but not ANYTHING about curving lines. How did they do that line on the PartnerMD site (above)? That looks like more than a thin line to me! Like they created an image and then curved it. How do I do that?!?

SOOOOOOOO frustrated! I need to do this TODAY. :(

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
That curve looks like they used the pen tool, with just two anchor points for each of the line that makes up the curve. They used the select tool to grab one of the handles and moved them so the curve is round and smooth. For the entire curve, only 4 anchor points are needed. It looks fairly simply enough to do in PS. Use the Pen tool.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
When you use the line tool, set the width to, say, 10 px. This will give you a path that looks like a rectangle. Use the method I gave above (adding points) to get the right shape, then delete one of the corners of the "rectangle" to make the shape go from wide to thin. Then, using the right-click menu of the Path Selection tool, fill the shape and stroke it.

Perhaps, if you still can't get it, you can tell us where you're getting stuck? Do you understand paths?

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
is that a line? or is it the remains of a "filled" selection?

looks to me like somebody used the circle selection tool, filled the selection and then offset the selection down and to the right and then used the selection to delete the unwanted area of fill

if you also want a hard edge along the perimeter of the remaining fill area you could select the fill with the magic wand and then stroke the selection

that's what it looks like to me.....if I'm looking at the right "line" anyway !! LOL

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
It's not hard to make the curves using the pen tool. I made an example in photoshop. The only tricky part is using the handles to make the right angles at the end. Experiment using the Direct selection tool (highlighted in my screenshot) and the Change Point tool to get your handles placed just right.

If you're still having trouble with the pen tool, try this tutorial.

Attachments

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
wordmunger said:
The only tricky part is using the handles to make the right angles at the end.
Hold down the shift key as you're moving the handles to get them to 'snap' to the vertical.

The technique wordmunger described seems to be the most flexible but once you've got your path finally created turn it into a layer mask so you can put images inside it easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.