How do I customize my dock?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by taz92, Jan 27, 2014.

1. taz92 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm new to Mac and just got my cMBP. How do I customize my dock with different icons and make the doc look different like how they customize the main dock on android phones? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks:D

2. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

its not really that customisable

you can drag crap off the dock and drag whatever shortcuts you want on to it

you can change its size by dragging this line up/down

@@@@@@@@.@@@@@l
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@V

Screen Shot 2014-01-27 at 11.21.45.png

in system preferences you can have it magnify when you mouse over it, and even have it completely hidden unless you move the mouse to the bottom of the screen

thats about it

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think there are some ways to change the background and you can exchange individual icons with a lot of work. I don't really see the point for quite a bit of work.
    The best thing one can do to the dock is make it disappear. It takes up far far too much space and should stay invisible unless really needed. When you cannot see it what does it matter what it looks like.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You could add spacers to the Dock though.
    To do so, open Terminal and type: defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-apps -array-add '{"tile-type"="spacer-tile";}'

After running this command, remember to type killall Dock to restart the Dock for the changes to take effect.

6. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

How does this help ? What does it do ?

And can it corrupt the OS since you have mentioned open Terminal and all !!

7. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Why would you wanna change it :/

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you drag the icon from the applications folder to the dock and to remove it drag it from the dock to the trash can

9. taz92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. Im looking to do something like this...
    [​IMG]

10. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I have a set of customized folders and weblinks on my dock for commonly used Systems (weblinks), apps (in folders grouped by use), and some commonly used files (in a folder), helps no end with my productivity.

The weblink icon sucked so I changed that for a coloured version of the launchpad icon - no harm in a beautiful dock :) I have the same setup on my iMac and MBP, the systems and folders are in the same order so no problem with the icons being the same...

Attached Files:

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nope it won't.

A lot of things I do are through Terminal, a carryover from my Linux days, ranging from trivial things like making or removing directories, to routine maintenance and creating partitions.

12. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I have the icons you see on the rght side of the dock, installed on mine. When I'm back at home I will post the details here. They are actually stupid small apps that only have an icon. To make them appear foremost in Dock, one needs to rely on sorting. That's why tese apps have names starting with a space character. They're a workaround in purest sense of the word.

13. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I heard that it doesn't work with ML or Mavericks. I could be wrong though.

14. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Looks like you can get it to work on Mavericks.

15. malch macrumors 6502

better than the Apple dock for some users—

DragThing

http://www.dragthing.com

very customizable. Very handy for people like me, because, along with the 27 or so apps I need access to at any time, I've also got a bunch of other apps I use just for editing, and a whole other set just for my cameras, etc.
    DragThing allows for layers and rows. Brilliant software, regularly updated by a fellow who answers emails personally on those rare occasions when I've needed some help.

Rgds,
    malch