How do I decrease the power consumtion of an iMac G3?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ariii, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Ariii, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Hi! I think I posted about using a computer as a web server before, but due to business, I haven't been able to start one until now. I really like the look of those Ruby iMacs and I found a great deal on a slot-loading one (They didn't specify the exact model) lately to use as a sound system/server and I noticed how much power it consumes. Is there any way to cut down on that? The websites I'm hosting are in no way requirement-heavy, they just need enough hard-drive space, which I have.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Turn off the screen as much as possible. There is a small utility for Tiger and maybe Panther called Sleep Display. There are two versions of this utility. One for Tiger and below, the other for Leopard and above.

Another thing that uses power is the hard drive. Using a solid state drive would be use less power. Because an SSD would be rather wasteful and under used in a G3 iMac, another option would be a CompactFlash with an EIDE adapter. While not as fast, it's just as quite and light on power.

3. Litany macrumors member

Buy something without a screen. PowerMac G3 for example.
    That CRT is what drinks the power.

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

5. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Any alternatives for ~$50, then, that might be 500 MHz-ish?
    That looks like a pretty good idea, thanks! Maybe I could use a small LCD, and salvage the screen from my G4 iBook. I did hear somewhere you could turn it into an external monitor. I could even do the same with an eMac, maybe, though I don't really need the extra power.

6. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

7. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

BLASPHEMER! lol

In all seriousness, my iMac G3's gonna be a fish tank if it ever bites the dust.